Dual monitor setup, completely different monitors

ChengaizAK

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hey everyone,

I currently run a high-end gaming rig that doubles up as a budget professional video/film editing machine (since workstation GPUs are way too expensive). I currently have a single-monitor setup using the very good ASUS PA238QR. I constructed the rig last year and for budgetary reasons, I chose a single monitor instead of a (preferred) dual-monitor setup.

I'm in the market for a second monitor. Since the PA238QR has been discontinued, I'm considering the ASUS PB238Q. But the VS239H-P, which has great reviews, is $40 cheaper and has an IPS panel (a must for me).

I just want to know that because I didn't have the means to do it earlier, is buying a second monitor to match my current one a smart idea? My primary use for the second monitor will be video editing, not gaming. Will there be significant difference in colours, brightness or any other specs that would compromise a side-by-side setup?

Or should I just wait a few months more and buy two new monitors of the same model number? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Dom_79

Distinguished
I believe that as long as you don't try and play games in dual display mode you should be fine (the set-up will work). If you are trying to use the second monitor to span a video across both, then yes, you will likely notice some difference in colour/brightness. You can mess around with the settings of both monitors until they are very, very similar but I don't know if even the manufacturer's could guarantee they'd be 100% perfect match (even with much tweaking). So short answer; No, this setup won't suite your needs if they need to be exactly the same for video editing.
Hope that helps a bit. :)
P.S.: It's almost Black Friday/ Cyber Monday! Keep you eyes open for some deals!