Gaming computer/laptop advice. (Question)

cpr016

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Okay so I realize there is a limit to what you can buy for 600-800$. However, I put this list together of what I want. The part prices will change of course. This build is mainly for gaming and I want to be able to play Crysis 3 on medium settings without much problem, and record while playing other games with friends. (Problem below the list)

(GPU - 130$) MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB
(CPU - 110$) AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core
(Mobo - 60$) MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+
(RAM - 53$) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866
(PSU- 53$) PC Power & Cooling 500W ATX12V
(HDD - 59$) Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
(OS - 99$) Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit)
(Others + monitor 154$)
Total = 734$

I was pretty satisfied with this build. However, I went to see a guy with more experience than myself for advice. First off he said I need a new Motherboard, and that mine was general considered a cheap piece of garbage(I can get a new one easy if needed). He also said I could use more RAM. But mainly he told me that buying this build would be useless. He said I would be much better off buying a middle-of-the-road laptop(for portability) that will get me through for a few years. His idea was that technology advances so fast that in a few years this build I am making would be "old" and unable to run the games that come out in the future. He advised that I buy a brand name laptop for a few reasons. First, so I have a warrantee incase anything goes wrong. He said I will most likely come upon problems while building a computer. Second, that I should go with a laptop for the portability.

Now for my argument. I feel there were a few flaws in his reasoning. He said that I would save money by going with a middle of the road computer. He thought that I should buy a 500$ computer now, then buy another when it is time to update, because the price to upgrade my "old" computer would be half the price of a brand new middle of the road computer. His reasoning is that the technology for 500$ available in a few years will be a lot better than the technology today. I think this idea makes sense, but a "decent" computer from a brand name (for the warrantee) costs about as much, if not more, than the build above(which I consider a lot better than "decent"). He then recommends I buy a laptop for gaming. The thing is, gaming laptops today can go for twice the price of my current build for the same specs.

My questions:
1. I want to know what I should do about this. I don't know whether I should buy a "decent" computer now, or go with my current build.
2. I want to know how long my build will last before it will NEED to be updated to run the games of the future. (Because my current computer has the plain GeForce 6600 and only runs games like Minecraft, not even Arma 2)

(LESS IMPORTANT)
3. Lastly, my build isn't perfect. Any advice on the actual build above, or a NEW build(if you recommend buying a "decent" comp) would be great.
- Will my cpu be able to handle gaming+high res recording+constant other applications like skype all at the same time?
- Will my gpu be able to handle Crysis 3 on medium settings while recording?

1. Your build isn't garbage. The motherboard is fine however he is right in that its not a high end board which is fine. You have a very value centered build to fit your budget which is also fine.

2. With recording just from a graphics card without a capture card I would go with Nvidia. Their shadowplay tech is pretty boss. I had batman arkham origins nearly maxed out which is probably in line with how much Crysis 3 would really push a system and my performance didn't see a drop at all which is something you will see with something like fraps so if you want to retain your video fidelity and record nvidia may be a option for you.

Also if you live near a microcenter you can save a little bit and pretty much get the motherboard near free in a lot of cases.

Here is something you could do. Keep in mind with sales you may find something stronger then what I suggest.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6350 3.9GHz 6-Core Processor ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock 990FX Extreme3 ATX AM3+/AM3 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $705.93
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-27 21:45 EST-0500)

cpr016

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
@bigshootr8

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely look into those. However I still have a couple questions.

1. Regarding what the guy said, how long will my computer last before it needs upgrades, and would a cheaper middle-road computer be a better option?

2. The build is pushing my budget, because i also need to buy a monitor and other accessories.
- Lastly, why windows 7 over 8?

Thanks again for the help.

1. I would say that it really depends. What you'll find is that currently that huge pushes in tech are slowing down on the CPU side of things so for the current time frame I would say you are quite fine a GPU is what is going to be the defining factor honestly right now. Is the CPU a i5 or i7 no can it handle your GPU absolutely will it handle GPU's in the future more then likely yes.

2. I prefer windows 7. Its easier to work with its just more compatible with things. Generally the user experience is stronger I just feel that most gamers would prefer to use windows 7 currently because they wont run into the stupid things that windows 8 brings.

Well if you are able to get the build you mentioned plus the monitor that may be a good investment for you. However one thing I would like to bring up is that people normally don't upgrade their monitors so I would find a monitor that really you like because you more then likely will have it for more then 1 upgrade cycle.

cpr016

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Ok well I took your advice into account and made a new build. My goal is to stay under 800$, which is difficult. So this is my updated build, which you will notice has a lot of things you advised me, or very similar parts.
http://pcpartpicker.com/user/EndoCrypticHaze/saved/2XFV

Tell me what you think of it. (It includes all accessories)
- The RAM in this build appears to be better. It has fast speeds and it is DDR3-1866.
- Upgraded to 2TB HDD because of something that guy said
- Monitor looks cheap but perfect for what I need

The ram is nicely priced. I would say though from 1600-1866 the difference is very small. However given the price you can't complain.
I wouldn't say you "need" a 2 TB HDD that is very much up to you I have a 1 TB HDD and a 256 SSD combo.
The panel you have their is fine its not a top tier monitor but its as you said good for what you are going to use it for.

cpr016

Honorable
Nov 27, 2013
Hey thanks for all the help! I'm pretty sure I'm all set, but if anything else comes up should I post a new thread or just reply to this one?