Razer Intros Aluminum Kraken Forged Edition Headset

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
to be honest, i have had nothing but bad luck with razer products. when they work, they work really good, but they break down after a few months.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
@NightLight, I think their mice are generally pretty reliable and I would consider them to make the best mice available. I've had a Razor Diamondback for 8 years and it is still an amazing device that I use for daily for gaming.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
I spent over $100 on the mamba. It died and I went back to my old Logitech I've had for 7 years. First and last razer product I bought. Some people seem to have better luck

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
So for $299, this is the same price as my pair of Shure SRH-940's. I'd like to see the laughable comparison between the two... not that I have anything against Razer, but when companies start to sell their branding instead of their product, it gets old fast. I have a desktop mic from the mid 1990's that works better than anything I've owned to date.

b23h

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
Screw that. I had two of their pro xbox controllers that broke within a month. I've had good luck with their mice and keyboard, but at the end of the day I am a Sennheiser boy and at $300 there is just no way I am going with a Razer product.

"These are the best headphones on the market for both music and gaming, period," says Min-Liang Tan, Razer co-founder, CEO and creative director. "We've made some incredible audio products in our time, and I'm proud to say that we have taken another huge step forward in terms of audio quality in a pair of headphones with phenomenal fit and finish."

I love it when CEOs come out stating their product is the best. Just love it.

One thing I can say is the Corsair Vengeance 1500s (V1) with memory foam are the most comfortable and have the best sound of all the headphones I have owned.

I am honestly not sure where to start with this...

Audiophiles are not as gullible as gamers, or are they stupid enough to buy Razer headphones marketed as audiophile quality.

Buy some Sennheiser, AT, Grado, AKG instead for around same price.

Like Jimmy above said, I also love it when CEOs praise their product so highly.

They have never made incredible audio products before too, and there is NO such thing as best sounding headphones for music or gaming. Some headphones are good for some genres and others worse. Some have better sound stage, others not so much. Some bass, others not. You get my point.

For all I know they could sound great though, but it's Razer which is a gaming company, not a known headphone manufacture.

InvalidError

Titan

In principle, the "best" headphones and speakers for any genre from a purely technical standpoint would have dead-flat frequency response: you get exactly the output that the electrical signal is supposed to produce with no amplitude or phase error.

In practice, comfort, looks, weight, size, the room's acoustical properties and a ton of other factors like individual people's preferences in the way things should sound that have nothing to do with the headphone or speakers' own technical superiority will often steer people away from the most technically ideal speakers.

Give people ideal speakers and I bet the first thing most will do after initial listening is mess with their (pre-)amplifier EQ to make them "sound right" because technically perfect sound does not meet their personal expectations.

Pretty much. From a technical standpoint you are correct.

Like I said no best sounding headphones because some people like their music to sound certain ways, and all that.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
When I was shopping for headphones, I had a budget of around $100 (taking third-world taxes into account). I have went to an "audiophile" shop and tried countless Sennheiser, Shure, Audiotechnica etc. headphones. The only pair I could tell sounded in the way I distinctly liked above others was Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro, but it was way above my budget, sadly. I ended up caving in to my original plan: I walked into a gaming peripherals store and bought Razer Kraken without even trying it on - because they refuse to open the packing for you (duh) and they didn't have a demo model.

I don't regret that decision. They are extremely comfortable, light, the sound is great (and yes, for both gaming and music), the cable (too bad it's not detachable) is tough and I already had a few near-heart-attack moments "OMG THE CABLE TORE... oh wait, no it did not" when I was too clumsy with it. It's an amazing headset for the money and I just wish I wasn't so stingy and have bought the Pro version with its rumored-amazing inline mic.

I've had the Kraken since March and it's as good as new. Now I'm looking for earphones (because as good as Kraken is, it's still a massive HEADSET) - and Razer got me covered again, Hammerhead Pro looks really damn good.

So while I get why some people are really annoyed with Razer products (and I personally find most of their mice overrated, though some are good - I'm using an NZXT Avatar S and find it more comfortable for my hand than Deathadder or Mamba or Naga or whatever, but that's just me), they're really not all that bad! That said, I fully agree that this particular "Forged" edition is extremely overpriced. It's aimed at hardcore Razer fans who want something special, not the general gamer/audiophile. It's probably made in limited numbers at a customized process and Razer has to compensate for the production cost somehow.

for 300 you can get the Hifiman HE-400 if you are lucky, wich is actually a "good" headphone. Also someone mentioned the PC 350 (in case you want a headset). Rather lower audio quality than the HE-400, but still much better than razer.

Those gaming companies are really making cash from uninformed customers...

Status
Not open for further replies.