Star Trek: Voyager

kansas_dude

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013
I have all 7 seasons on DVD but when I play them on my PS3 (main source of watching DVD/BluRay), it seems to play fine but once or twice every scene it'll freeze (once I fast forward for a second than play, it's fine till next time it freezes).....I got tired of doing that so I than tried my Xbox 360 but the 360 won't even read the DVDs (it'll show 'reading media' for an hour), than tried PC but Windows Media Player, Real Player, and some other players would read it but wouldn't show the main menu and would ONLY play the first episode over and over......WMP showed some kind of coded error and suggested I need a decoder (never had that problem before), could that be why scenes kept freezing on PS3 and 360 wouldn't read the DVDs?

I don't think anyone recorded the episodes as the set was shrink wrapped and had the unaired never before seen pilot

NOTE: I'm not talking about a region code

Solution
I personally use PowerDVD(bluray) or Windows Media Center :)

VLC works well, but you have to tell it to de-interlace the DVD.

I have noticed that some dvd's do some strange things like minor skips under some software players. Stargate SG1 seemed to have some(older versions of powerdvd), but was perfect under media center.
does the box/case look like the one shown in stores or on reputable online locations?

did you buy from a reputable seller?

if you look up the upc or identification does it show up as legit?

i've seen a few "foreign imported" compies of shows floating around on ebay and amazon which are often complete series and which retail for a very low reasonable price (unlike the high price sets typically command). i'd be skeptical about such sets.

as far as playback issues... i've had issues ranging from poorly recorded and coded disks which only seem to work on a few devices. vlc may help with that.

to disks being transparent looking (you can see through them) and not playing to disks being too glossy/shiny (some blueray disks with that antiscratch coating)

to disks not playing because they are dirty or smudged. yes i've had to clean brand new disks before.

from what you've said it just sounds like poorly made disks or they were recorded/formatted in such a way where not all players will read them. verify that the disks are legit and try another player. other than that i'm not sure what to tell you except perhaps get a refund or exchange.

kansas_dude

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013

kansas_dude

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013

I bought on eBay a few years ago cause it was alot cheaper (as with everything on eBay vs stores) and I always buy DVDs/Blurays from United States.......I haven't tried VLC yet (VLC seems to work great)

it stinks the PS3 doesn't have a VLC player

what i meant was that some sellers in the usa on ebay are hocking questionable dvd collections from overseas suppliers. typically they are for rediculously low prices (1/4 to 1/2 what retail would be). i'm not saying that your dvds are the case... just letting you know what i've seen.

since you said it was a few years ago... do you think the disks are just dirty? that would cause some freezing or skipping.

vlc does look to be a powerful media player however i dont use it myself. i normally just use the ps3 or wmp. after looking at it more in detail i may have to try it out myself ( i do like some of the skins).

normally i dont have problems playing movies on ps3.. out of my 1000+ title collection only a handful do not work correctly.

kansas_dude

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2013

every DVD/Bluray I have bought on PS3 works just fine w/out errors on PS3

Only DVD I have bought on eBay from another country (can't remember which but that country is famous for bootleg DVDs I later found out), I could tell right away it was recorded (crappy record as well, had that echoy effect to it), even tho the audio and video were in sync the subtitles were not in sync with the actor's mouth movements, and you know how at the beginning of movies it shows the upcoming feature attractions? well it did show upcoming attractions but from old black and white movies (which aren't upcoming if their in B&W)....well after 10 messages back and forth, the seller finally gave me a full refund (she was trying to argue with me), the she went through great lengths to make the case & dvd look factory done

I personally use PowerDVD(bluray) or Windows Media Center :)

VLC works well, but you have to tell it to de-interlace the DVD.

I have noticed that some dvd's do some strange things like minor skips under some software players. Stargate SG1 seemed to have some(older versions of powerdvd), but was perfect under media center.

Solution