what's the best set up I should do for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curiousdude

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013
I built a cpu a few years back... ASUS mobo, core i7-2600 processor @ 3.4GHz. and set it up to run my windows on the SSD, and use 2 additional HDD as storage space for my files.

I store a lot of data, family pictures / videos.., self projects, etc... and no gaming at all. I basically use cpu for work / storage of files.

I tend to do a weekly to monthly back up of my files into the additional HDD as well as an external harddrive. Today I decided to sort and reorganize the thousands of pictures and video files, and then as I was copying them over I noticed, it started to lag, and at times, froze, and couldn't find my pictures. I was so scared I was going to lose my files. It took very long for it to discovery my old files.. i even had to restart my cpu a few times.

But anyway.. Should I have set up the mechanical HDD to run windows instead? and use a SSD to for storage of my files? I did it the way I did b/c SSD was so expensive. Also, would SSD break down? I mean, I sometimes tend to write and rewrite files.. Which way should I set it up?

And, wihch HDD do you recommend that is fast? I have a lot of storage and it'll be helpful if I can copy and paste them over faster. Thanks,

D

Deleted member 1330443

What you should do:

SDD for OS (primary drive). It is optimized for that.
HDD for storage. Get like a green drive which is designed for storage (lower temperatures and noise).

You can damage the flash of your SSD if you write TBs of data daily for years, which I guess is not your case. You don't have to worry about that.

I'd recommend a current gen WD green drive. For pictures, you're looking at high sequential reads. "Faster" drives are actually faster when dealing with small files.

PS: Do you mean computer instead of CPU?

curiousdude

Honorable
Oct 18, 2013

Haha.. Yes, computer. and Thanks for your response. I will look into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.