i7-4930K vs i7-3930K - what too choose for video/audio rendering, image processing and gaming?

utnalove

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2013
Hello,

my priority is video rendering. Of course a good video card will be included. I am choosing between i7-4930K vs i7-3930K processor.

They seem very similar in the specifications. They have the same number of cores, threads, cache and a very similar frequency. The first is a Sandy Bridge-E and the second is a Ivy Bridge-E. Also the prices are really similar.

Please help
Thanks

Hazy125

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
Uh, the first is a Haswell-E and the second is an Ivy-E. The Haswell chip has a higher IPC, which in simpler terms means that it has a more powerful core despite the similar frequency. It also consumes less power, has an upgraded memory controller and improved PCI-e support. The last thing isn't as important unless you fill up all of your PCI-e slots.

I do have a question though, if you are planning to overclock the CPU it would be better to get the Ivy Bridge as it typically a much better overclocker, although you may end up with some sytem instability and excessive temperatures which aren't a good thing for any system. If you plan to leave the CPU's at stock frequency than then Haswell has better performance to to the higher IPC.

-Member of the Intel Response Squad http://bit.ly/IntelRally

Hazy125

Honorable
Oct 13, 2013
You're right. I'm sorry. Good new is that the information I provided is still relevant with the exception of the PCI-e lanes. Sandy-E OC's better than Ivy-E.. I do wish Intel was more up to date with their extreme releases, it's confusing that Broadwell is likely to be out before Haswell-E and that Ivy Bridge-E came out after Haswell was released

Live Wyre

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013

They are Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E, the extreme processors are named with the first digit of the model +1 e.g. 2600>3930, 3770>4930. There's pretty much no difference unless you care about a negligible amount of time. Get the 4930k if you can, either way it's still newer tech.