Going to the US, can I buy parts from Newegg and bring them back to the UK?

curioususer123

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
They're so much cheaper there for whatever reason - does anyone actually know why?

I'm going there anyway for a few weeks, I'm thinking of taking advantage of the discounts. Is it possible to order online if you don't live there?

Online stores might not deliver to hotel addresses. Additionally, they might not even accept an international credit cards.

If you have friends / family in the US it would be best to have the items shipped to their home address. Or even ask them to order it for you.

When returning to the UK, you might have to pay an import tax depending on the item so you should check that out. If you are buying something like a laptop, then simply carry it on board the out of the box like any typical passenger who wants to do work or watch their own movies. If you are buying PC parts, then that could be tricky.

Good luck.

curioususer123

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013

What if I buy them from a store like Microcenter?

Also, is it possible for someone there to buy the items for me and send them to me as a package? Or would the cost not be worth it.

Going to Microcenter should be fine because it to get the best discount you actually need to pickup the item from the store in person. Assuming you are looking to buy a Core i5-4670k ($200) and motherboard (whatever the discounted price is for the mobo) bundle; you would order it online, then go to the store to pick it up since they will not deliver it anyway. It's a way to make customers actually go to the store to hopefully make some impulse purchases.

The issue is customs when you get deported... I mean when you decide to return home. You may have to pay an import tax in the UK on the items you bring back with you depending on the value. That is something you need to research.

As for having the electronics shipped back to the UK, that would be rather expensive. I used FedEX's site to get an estimate on a 10lbs (~4.5kg) package from NY to London. The cost is $194 economy, $202 priority and $250 1st class. Then you might get hit with import taxes as well. Best to just bring them back with you.

curioususer123

Honorable
Sep 15, 2013
Thank you for the response. I'd like to add some more info incase somebody else has this question in future.

"Yes you can, but expect to pay import. There are companies who let you ship to their warehouses and they will ship the product to you for a small fee, that's probably the best way, but it's going to end up costing just as much so it's only useful for NA-unique products.
Also, some companies ship worldwide, such as NCIX.com/.ca just started doing a while back."

"I've done it to Mexico by plane, but as ----- says, there is always the risk that you will get stopped by customs and have to pay duty.

This haven't happened to me yet."

(referring to foriegn cards) "Amazon will take them as long they ship inside the US. (at least for hardware) and of course, that you're card is Mastercard or VISA (not sure about others), is a different history while buying codes for games"

"Newegg should work too, not sure about Microcenter (Bought a processor there but in-store)"

"If you built a small form factor you could take it home assembled in your carry on. You usually have the right to travel with your computer, so you just say that you traveled with it and came back with it for work or something."

"If you get a small and cheap case would be great, you can get rid of it after you arrive back (and avoiding paying duties).

I used a Santander card with Mastercard. Did both but they deliver to hotel, just notify the hotel to receive it (and if it arrives before you arrive at the hotel be sure of having a reservation)."