I have a 590, thinking about moving up to 770 or better. What do you all think? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

kringler

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hello,

I'm thinking about purchasing a new graphics card, and updating some of the rest of the components on my system. Right now I have a GTX 590, but it's such a hot power-sucking machine. It's served me well, but I feel like I want to cut down the menace.

I just want to get some valuable input on what I'm thinking about. I'm looking at probably getting a MSI N770 Lightning, but I've also been looking at models a bit more powerful, like a 780, or even a 780 ti, but the bang-for-buck of the 770 is what catches my eye. I've been looking at benchmarks and reviews and whatnot, but that doesn't really get the whole picture.

Is the 590 more powerful than the 770? The numbers kind of argue about that, or so it seems. One of the things that would be so appealing about the 770 (780, too) is their ability to overclock, whereas the 590's ability to OC seems really dicey. Would I see a lot of benfits from changing? I know I'm dropping a gig, but I am willing to sacrifice if I think it's needed. Also, some time down the line, I might be willing to SLI for the 4 gigs.

What do you all think? Anything I'm missing or need to think about?

Here are my system specs:
MOBO: Intel P67 Micro ATX
CPU : Intel i7 2600K 3.4
RAM : 16GB 1600

kringler

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
@a1blaster; Really? How is that any bit constructive? I don't know if there are going to be any performance increases, I would think so, but I'm hoping for real, constructive input on whether or not there will be any real-world difference. Is this your way of saying that a 770 would have no performance improvement?

@qasim1991; So you don't think a 770 would be worth it, huh? I am a bit cautious concerning bang-for-buck factor, as while I have a bit of money, and I can sit on it and extend budgets in some way, it's important to me that--with stuff like this--money is spent efficiently. It's not imperative that I upgrade, it's really something I more or less want to investigate. If you really think that 770 wouldn't be worth it, do you think that moving to a 780/780ti might be unnecessary? I definitely don't struggle with game right now. It looks like I could get ~$300 for the 590, and really wouldn't mind chipping in some more. But would tossing in $400 really be worth the bump that a 780ti could give?

the 780 is only going to be slightly faster than the 590. your another generation away from the upgrade being worth while. you would be better off looking at getting sli 760's (4gb models of course) which would be noticeably faster than a 590 or 780... about 40%.