In need of some advice please. Graphics/Monitor

darklorn

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Ok I build a system a while back with the intention to upgrade and now I am ready to upgrade and I am having some major issues making some decisions. I would really like to get a few peoples advice and thoughts please.

First my machine..

Asus Maximus Her VI Mobo
i5 4670k Proc
EVGA Superclock gtx 780 Grapphics
16gb gskill ripjaw
couple ssds and a hard drive

I was ready to purchase a 2nd gtx 780 and sli it up.. After doing some thinking I see I can sell this for about 400 and was thinking maybe it would be better to get a 780 gtx ti. 500 for a 2nd card or 300 for 1 upgraded card? What do you all recommend for this?

The 2nd question I am torn about is if I want to go to Nvidia surround or not. In the past five played games like the Witcher 2 and wow/eq type games and I always played them on my 46 inch plasma. I realize this isn't the way to go. That was before I built my latest rig. I do not play fps games on my pc. I mainly stick to rpg/mmo type games like i mentioned above.

So what's the best way to go? If you recommend Nvidia surround I think I want to stick with IPS since I don't play fps type games. What ips do you recommend? 1440 worth it?

If you don't recommend an Nvidia what monitor do you recommend? The bigger the better since it would only be one monitor.

I invested a lot into this machine and its really the last machine I will build as I am an older person so I want to best gaming experience I can get. I want beautiful views in my gaming :) thanks for any help you can provide in advance.

Solution
The problem with gaming on 2 monitors opposed to three is that you have the bezel right in the middle where like the crosshair would be. However, I know they work fine for gaming on one and browsing the web on the other.

As for Nvidia surround, I'll let someone else comment on it, as I've never tried it. I just know some people like getting a single big wide monitor for the immerse experience as opposed to going the surround route due to not having to deal with bezels, etc.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I would personally get a second 780. The jump from a 780 to a 780ti isn't worth it IMO to justify selling yours and buying a 780ti.

As for a monitor, newegg has some 2560x1080p monitors on sale right now for really cheap.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824260115

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-005-534

You could get one of those to give you the panoramic experience without multiple monitors, you might even be able to run games pretty good with a single 780 as well. Those are both IPS panels too.

darklorn

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
those are both pretty sweet. Can you play games over 2 of those instead of 3 of the other? Just curious? Maybe I just grap one of those and a 24 inch matching for side stuff.. Definitely intrigued.

What are your thoughts on nvidia surround?

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
The problem with gaming on 2 monitors opposed to three is that you have the bezel right in the middle where like the crosshair would be. However, I know they work fine for gaming on one and browsing the web on the other.

As for Nvidia surround, I'll let someone else comment on it, as I've never tried it. I just know some people like getting a single big wide monitor for the immerse experience as opposed to going the surround route due to not having to deal with bezels, etc.

Solution