Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Need Advice on First Build ($2000 Budget; Value of All Around Performance)

Tags:
  • Hardware
  • Performance
  • Computers
  • Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 29, 2013 6:30:44 PM

Hello everyone,

So this is my first major build, I have messed around with some VERY old computer hardware to build a computer, but this is my first computer from scratch I am building.

I plan to use the computer to do some gaming/movies entertainment and some CAD but it would help to be able to run CAD and FEA programs for work. That is why I chose to go with the i7, basically I want it to be well rounded for most uses but not necessarily great at any one thing. I tend to multitask a little so it is not uncommon to have several things open at the same time, not much video editing, but it would be nice to have the ability.

I am mostly concerned with value since I tend to use things for an extended time and try to get the most use out of them for the money spent. Speaking of money, I was trying to keep it below $2000 including the 2 monitors, keyboards, mouse, etc. I am willing to pay a little more for quality and longevity though.

I have heard of stability issues with the newer Haswell processors and the tendency to run hot, but what is life without a little bit of a challenge. Besides it is the newest technology and Black Friday deals seem to put it cheaper than the Ivy Bridge i7.

I hope that all the parts play well together so please let me know if you see anything that I can improve on. Here is the parts break down: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bcr4

I am most concerned with the choice of graphics card. Also, in the future I may look into some fans, more memory, and a keyboard and mouse.

Here is the requested information from the new build thread:
Approximate Purchase Date: Immediately

Budget Range: $2000 After Rebates but this is flexible

System Usage from Most to Least Important: See above

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS (I get this through my work).

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I think the suppliers from pcpartspicker are sufficient, but it depends on the deal.

Parts Preferences: Like to stick with well known brands with a good history. You can see from my choices I may be paying a little more for looks and brand name. This may seem like it contradicts my want for value in a build but since I am inexperienced I figure I can use all the margin I can get.

Overclocking: YES

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: It would be nice to be quiet and look ok. I feel like a well designed system would probably be quiet and cool and play together. I may look into some different fans in the future.

Thank you,
Andrew

More about : advice build 2000 budget performance

November 29, 2013 7:04:00 PM

generally speaking this is what id get for your situation
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bFRi

-if you are to watercool, get the h220 from swiftech and not the half baked crap made by coolit or asetek. heatsinks work fine for what you do
-expensive motherboards have no benefit. it wont overclock any better unless you are under LN2, if you need better sound you can get that through a sound card for cheaper, and looks arent going to matter a ton when you arent going to be staring at your case
-get a dual channel kit. its guaranteed to work. with single sticks, you may get different sticks from different batches and sometimes, it wont even work
-larger SSD.
-for about the same price, i can get a seagate 3tb drive in place of a WD black. there is no benefit of choosing the black drive other than warranty
-if you arent going to game much, the gtx 760 is enough. otherwise, id probably pick up a r9 290 instead
-do not get a blu-ray drive unless you watch blu-ray discs
-the pb238q would be better suited to your tasks as a IPS panel can deliver a better image and since this is going to be run in a dual panel configuration, the IPS panel will allow you to not have fading edges
-i threw in a mechanical keyboard if you would like to check them out. the benefits are that you can type 10% faster and they generally last forever.
November 29, 2013 8:07:37 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($104.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($85.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($319.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 600T Mesh (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($90.00)
Case Fan: Cooler Master SickleFlow 69.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($6.49 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($42.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Asus VS24AH-P 24.0" Monitor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Asus VS24AH-P 24.0" Monitor ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech MK710 Wireless Ergonomic Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1779.38
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-29 23:07 EST-0500)