Good True 5.1 Headset

Which of these headsets is the best for true 5.1 gaming?

• Tritton Pro+ 5.1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Medusa NX 5.1

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roccat Kave 5.1

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

TheSelverFang

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hey all. New poster, but not a new lurker.

Im building a new computer and was quite a bit under budget.
Someone asked me to take the dive and try out a sound card instead of getting a virtual sound card thing that comes with some headsets (typically plugs in through USB, you know the ones).

The sound card I picked up was the HT Omega Claro Halo since its reviews soared high above those for the ASUS Xonar Essence STX (Thanks Top Ten for not even MENTIONING the HT Omega).
After doing quite a bit of research, I've narrowed it down to three:

Tritton Pro+ 5.1
Speedlink Medusa NX 5.1
Roccat Kave 5.1

Reviews for the Tritton range from slightly greater than average to raving.
Medusa seems to do about the same, with some complaints about durability of parts.
The Roccat seems to get reviewed pretty decently too.

My experiences in the past with MadCatz (who markets Tritton) have not been the best. This is pretty much only their old Gamecube controllers, which were utter crap and obviously not audio related, but they were bad enough to make me nervous about buying anything from them.

Has anyone used any of these three, or know a really good other headset?
Again, Im looking for true 5.1.

I should note that bass is important to me, and Im not really all that worried about quality with music and movies.
I should also note that if someone could suggest a 5.1 Studio headset, I would not be opposed to that either.

My budget is roughly around $400.

On a side note, I ran across the Psyko Carbons. Was really disappointed they didnt sound as good as they looked.

Thanks.

Njb1987

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
I have the Roccat Kave 5.1's and love them, I have always had bad luck with gaming headsets but I have had this set for a fair while now and have not played up even once.

If anything I would say they may not be the greatest for music but I think that is the same for all true 5.1 headsets but in games the sound is really good and I find it easy to sense the direction of sound with them.

Chrs

TheSelverFang

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013

That's great since that's the headset I was leaning towards.
I'm actually waiting for the Kave XTDs to come out and for people to compare them to the Kave 5.1s
Thanks for the input!

sesq

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
You probably have done a lot of research on your own but just warning you that most audiophile and sound guru things I come across laugh at "true surround sound headsets" with multiple audio drivers in each ear. I recommend looking into the topic a little more as headsets with one driver in each ear supposedly blow them away. The "true 5.1/7.1" is a cute concept but in the real world supposedly doesn't stand up at all. Anyways, good look with your decision/purchase! Sorry this post sound kinda like a bummer. xD