Why is amd cheaper & why do people say its better for gaming.

Youngguns

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Also i would like to build a computer that lets me play fps at max graphics and high fps. Any links to builds out there with a $2200 budget.

Solution
what all do you need?

computer tower
monitor
speakers
keyboard
mouse
headset

list what you need please.

do you plan on 1080p gaming or higher resolution like 2560x1440?
do you want an ips monitor for better colors or are standard level monitors fine?

--------

the following build i am listing is only a baseline to go from. there are many ways you can modify it to achieve different results.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory...
what all do you need?

computer tower
monitor
speakers
keyboard
mouse
headset

list what you need please.

do you plan on 1080p gaming or higher resolution like 2560x1440?
do you want an ips monitor for better colors or are standard level monitors fine?

--------

the following build i am listing is only a baseline to go from. there are many ways you can modify it to achieve different results.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Extreme ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($376.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($149.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Mac Mall)
Video Card: Asus Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card ($595.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1725.84
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-11-30 09:22 EST-0500)

---------

for gaming only you could drop to an i5. i just put in an i7 since it is a more powerful cpu. this would save some cash.

you do not need to use an extreme motherboard like the one i listed if you do not need the features it provides. this would save some cash.

you do not need a ssd although this would speed up your booting times significantly. this would save some money.

you do not need such a high end gpu although the 290x is more future proof than lower end cards. this would save some money.

depending on final hardware you could go with a lower watt psu. this limits expansion though. this would save a little bit of money.

----------

what could you do with money saved?

-instead of using computer speakers you could upgrade to a home theater system for your computer for some rather awesome sound.
-instead of a standard monitor you could get a nice high quality ips panel if you are a fanatic about such things
-you could buy yourself or make yourself a nice computer desk, get a new chair and redesign the space for the pc into a gaming environment.
-instead of saving money you could just max out performance of the pc with the full budget.

----------

there are many options for such a large budget of $2200

please let us know your thoughts, plans, needs and wants.

Solution

Youngguns

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
All the money is going into my tower. I play most games on 1900x1200Resolution. Ide like to play a game like ARMA3 ( http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1855&game=ArmA%20III ) on max graphics with at least a constant 40fps.

My monitor is a sucky random brand 60hertz one. I can buy a better second hand one outside my $2000 budget so please include feedback about how this whole monitor thing works and if i should get a new one (not effecting my budget, but please be reasonable. I cannot fork out like 700bux for a screen lol).

Thanks for the speedy reply and sorry for my poor one. I dont know much.

you can likely max the games you want at 1080p or 1200p for about $1500 no problem.

that leaves you many options as i mentioned above.

anyone can put together a list of parts for $2200 to give to you. however it will not be customized as to what will fit you best which is why we need to you answer the questions i had above.

please answer some of the questions i had and comment on what you thought of my ideas in my last post as upgrades.

------------------------------

why would you buy a second hand monitor when new is within your budget?

i could see buying a higher end refurbished monitor for a lower price but it seems like you dont need/want that.

------------------------------

if you wanted ideas.... this is what i personally use.

182ipu.jpg

i have a television hooked up instead of a monitor. things are larger than life.

i have a home theater system hooked up for better sound as well.

do you want/care for upgrades like this or are you perfectly content with normal pc speakers and a normal monitor as long as you have a pc that can rock current and future games? personally i think peripherals make everything more enjoyable however i dont know what you like.

Youngguns

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013

I have started this project today, Its 2am and ive been at it since the morning, my back hurts, I have no clue on where to begin and 13 of the most favourable online Aussie distributes have been book marked on my browser.
Im sure you're going to have prices from ebay or something. I dont have a problem with this but iv'e never used it before and dont want to turn this into an ebay tutorial forum. I'm mentioning this because we have Gumtree.com.au and other various means to get stuff online here in Australia and dont expect you to bust your back for me. If i could buy bulk everything from trust worthy poeple on websites like Ebay and save money it would be awesome though! Will i be paying shipping costs on each item? There are many things i dont know about buying from over seas markets. I dont see how you're prices are going to be accurate. I will however link any comparisons from Australia i find. Appreciate anything i can get at this point and ill send you a pic when its all finished.

My chair sux coz im 120kg and keep rocking around on it to get comfy.
My table is a 'L' shaped one - I like the design but i need a new one
My headphones suck because i cant distinguish allot of 3d sounds in FPS games.
I need a 2square'ish meter poster of an Orc killing an elf (or something) and holding its head in the air to hang above my setup.

The 4th option is in anticipation of Elderscrolls online and is not mandatory.

ps: Do they make rugs with imprints of game scenes? rof

it seems like you have a few ideas about what you want but arent very familiar with any of it.

perhaps it would be best to explain things in real time to work things out.

we could talk about your budget and what you could do with it and go from there. this way you can come out on budget but with with everything you want.

let me know your availability and list the time zone you are in. i can then set up a free chat room you can join and discuss on. (its far quicker and easier than back and forth on the forum). once everything is clear to you then we can just finalize some things on here (the forum).

Youngguns

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Sorry man crashed out at 4:30am last night. Couldn't do it. Just woke up and read what you said. any time is good for me. Just let me know when and what sort of info i should bring. Im in AESTime.