How much do you think would you need to spend for a pc similar gfx capability to PS4

xtnt

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
I would never spend £400+ on a console, whether it offers subscription led media entertainment or not, it just sounds too limited for the price, but out of interest I watch comparison PC to console videos on y'tube, such as this one for the latest gaming generation.

There are forums with gamers building £1000+ gaming rigs and beyond, so so I am wondering - what do you think you roughly really need to spend on a pc, to achieve something equal to, or just over, the capabilities of consoles being released today? My old system is long gone (£800 at the time, now you wouldn't even get £50) and my win7/8 laptop runs everything up until around 2010 or so (acer aspire v3-571g). Thanks for any info or opinions

about maybe 750 pounds should be able to build a PC that can match/beat consoles in running games, consoles are much more optimized for such tasks and so it would require a pretty powerful PC to beat them. At 750 pounds you can fit in a really strong Radeon HD 7970 or GTX 770 and be able to pretty much max out games of this generation and probably also 2 years into the future also.

xtnt

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks for the suggestion of card-I wonder if such a powerful card on a far lower pc spec would be pointless, or even cause issues.

So that would be around a grand in total, 750+200-ish for a gfx card - or is that 750 in total?
It would help heat up the home no doubt too, lol. Looking at the ridiculous price of consoles now(I think they should be relabeled 'multimedia centres' from now on-consoles are a thing of the past), I suppose paying close to double the price doesn't seem so bad in the long run. Emulation and being able to run more than one OS for compatibility on a pc has always made me lean towards a computer for the long term, along with the fact that MS Office and Photoshop arent on the PS4 (yet). I suppose for gamers thinking of switching, the only issue is when it comes down to big name companies paying publishers to only release a certain title on their console and none else, but I have seen less originality when it comes to gaming these days. Sequel after sequel. Much like the movies. Terminator 5, anyone? :D

it's 750 pounds in total (but in the usual way of building rigs, just the case and components and maybe windows, no monitor, mouse, or keyboard), I think the GPU can definitely afford to be about 1/3 the cost of the total rig, though I guess that could be a bit of a stretch in most cases, and I don't think it'd cause issues, most of the time pure gaming rigs on a budget will have their GPU be stronger than the CPU anyhow

And I agree with a lot of your points :) I think consoles and PCs are walking a homogeneous path anyway, consoles are behaving more like personal computers and even use hardware that is increasingly similar to them anyway. Console exclusive titles are a problem but nothing is ever problem-free.