Dropped connections happening intermittently on my laptop since last night

jakeg

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Hello everyone,

Thank you very much for the forum. I am living in Central America with a host family, in a time of year where there is wind. All of the wiring infrastructure here is above ground, so the seasonal elements can wreak havoc on internet connections. I have an iphone 4, an ipad 4th generation, and a very old dell laptop (1720, from mid-2007). I am running Windows Vista with Service Pack 1. The family has a 5mbit/1mbit connection to the internet. The router is Broadtech adsl2+8186-v2 router, but I haven't been able to get into its settings to see what is up. I tried connecting to 192.168.1.1 which I thought would work but it appears to be impossible. My laptop wireless card is a Intel Wireless Wifi Link 4965AGN PCI mini card. Starting yesterday evening, during what seemed to me to be very soft wind, my computer began to drop its connection to my router an average of every 15 minutes. The average downtime was 3-5 minutes. It would disconnect from the router, then it would show the x on the icon, then when I tried to reconnect to the router myself it wouldn't let me because it said the router had problems. So I would leave it alone and after 5 or so more minutes it would reconnect to the router automatically and then I would be fine until the next dropped connection happened. I almost certain it is not a router/internet problem because my tablet and iphone have never dropped their connections to the router during my 8 weeks here unless the router itself disconnected from the internet.

So I know I have some kind of problem with either the card itself or the card's connection to the router. I did some googling and others have had problems with this card in Dell laptops but their problems stem from the wireless-N setting on the router conflicting with the card. This router in question does not support 802.11n as far as I know so that is not the problem.

I already tried deleting the driver and reinstalling it (I already checked the Intel site and I have the newest possible driver), as well as turning off the N capability in the car through device manager, but it continues to drop my connection. I have an expresscard slot in my laptop so I could go to a store here and buy one if you guys are convinced that it is a hardware problem that cannot be fixed. It seems to only happen when there is strong wind. Is it possible that the wifi card in my computer is just not as strong as the wireless chips in the ipad and iphone because they are newer? Is it possible that upgrading to service pack 2 would help? I have been here for 8 weeks and had no problems until yesterday so I am not sure what to do. I wonder if just the wind is knocking it out and buying a stronger NIC for the expresscard slot would work. Any help you could give me would be very appreciated!

jakeg

Honorable
Nov 30, 2013
Any ideas would be appreciated! I bought a USB wifi adapter for my laptop and now it works fine even during wind. Does this mean that my internal wireless card died?