How to treat a SSD like a SSD and not a HDD, please help.

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
I bought a SSD just a while back and waiting for it to come in the mail. So I came to the thought how would I take care of it? I know people told me not to defrag it and stuff but what other things are you not supposed to do or should do? Because I want this SSD to last me a long time and keep its performance.

The SSD: SanDisk SDSSDP-128G-G25 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The SSD link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G1732885

All help is appreciated,

-Cha11enger

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Thanks for the reply!

The link to a website answered most of my questions but I still have a couple left.

I didn't fully understand some of what was in that blog oh I thought I would ask it directly. You see I bought an SSD to put my operating system and some apps on it and the hard drive I have left over from an older computer that I would use as a backup for all my data like pictures and stuff. So I don't know what setting I should do or How to set it up in the bios so that my SSD would work with my HDD on the same motherboard. Please let me know.

Thanks,

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013

Yes, the SSD and the HDD are Sata. But the HDD is a old sata II HDD so I don't know if it will run right, I did some browsing on the internet and found one post similar to this post. So should I install the SSD first then enable AHCI in bios leaving the HDD unplugged the entire time? Then carry on to installing the OS? Also on the HDD, I have my OS (windows xp & 7 ) installed so I have to get rid of them before (or after, depending how it goes) I install a fresh copy of windows 7 onto the SSD.

But isn't AHCI only for SSDs? How will it affect my HDD?

Thanks,

AHCI is for SATA regardless of ssd or hdd. SATAII and III will be fine together. Yes, you should unplug the hdd before installing windows on the ssd. Set the bios to ACHI and then load windows. Problems occur when people originally load windows in ide mode and then try to switch over to ACHI.

popatim

Titan
If your bios was already in AHCI mode then your harddrive will still be (multi-) bootable if you dont erase it. To boot from the HDD all you need to do is press the function key to 'Select boot device' during the pc's boot sequence. Look for the message on your screen, it come on at the same time the message to press DEL to enter the bios usually.

I point this out because you didn't say what you wanted to do with the old OS's and doing this is perfectly within the MS agreement.

Also, when you reinstall Win7 to the SSD, it probably won't authenticate due to the change in drives. This isn't a problem and it will authenticate over the phone just fine. I'm just giving you a heads up.

cha11enger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2013
Ok thanks, I should be getting my SSD and the rest of my parts in the next 1-2 days (Excluding today). Once I get it up and running with windows, I'll let ya know if there is anymore problems.

Thanks,