How do I create my own VPN (through my Home IP)

markzer0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
I'm aware of pay-services like StrongVPN where you can basically pay $10 to be able to route your traffic through their servers in basically any country you want, but I want to set up my OWN vpn to use while I travel on business that routes all my traffic -- no matter where I am in the world -- through my HOME network (such that it appears that I'm connecting via my typical home IP).

I don't mind leaving a computer plugged in and powered-on in my house in the US if I need to. I've heard that this is pretty straight-forward, but I don't know where to begin. I've used programs like OpenVPN before, but again: always to use the VPN serivces of a 3rd-party provider...never to access and tunnel my traffic through my OWN home IP address.

Someone point me in the right direction?

OpenVPN is what I was going to suggest you use. Strange you think it cannot be used to create your own VPN "server". This is one of the common things people use it for. The most cost effective way (at least electricity wise) is to load openvpn on a DD-WRT router. This also get past all the issues of port mapping stuff though to a server.

I know this works very well....we have lots of people where I work using ssl/tls vpn to bypass our proxy filters. (we pretend we don't see it since it is their IP that any legal wrong doings track back to)

markzer0

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2013
Hi all;
So a bit of internetting led me to this "solution" that recommends Hamachi + Privoxy...and the good news is that it was very straightforward to set up, and appears to be working.

The *bad* news is that as far as I can tell, this will only encrypt (and route through my home IP) my BROWSER traffic. But I need a solution that will also encrypt/tunnel traffic for 3rd-party software clients that only allow me to connect from certain areas. For example, I run some gaming clients that restrict access to my State only...the Hamachi + Privoxy solution won't help me there, because these are 3rd party clients, and don't run in a browser. Can my Hamachi + Privoxy solution (which has proved very easy so far) be tweaked to basically capture ALL internet traffic...and not just what happens inside my browser?

Jamsyl

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
There really is a very simple solution for your problem; a synology diskstation! Gets the job done very straight forward. Routes all my traffic (laptop (windows and osx!), iPhone, iPad) through my home network, on public wifi and even 3G.