Amazon UK Working Conditions Could Cause Mental Illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
Cheap automatons for mechanical work that don't need programing & a part of the "New brave world".
& now reconsider the actual product name "Pro wite"!

Josh Brumpton

Honorable
May 19, 2013
If any of you want to watch it it's the "panorma- the truth behind the click" 30minutes long, well worth watching. I think If there gonna make them do such a physically intensive job at least pay well.

eza

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
for some reason, I was under the impression that all the Amazon picking was done by robots in silent massive warehouses.
didn't realise that real people do it

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
It's not only Amazon. They are a lot of companies, even not that big ones. We are modern slaves and there's nothing we can do.
I would understand if the job is well paid, but that's just not the case.
No way in hell i'm doing this job, even if the money is good.
I'd rather earn less money, work my 8 hours and not a minute more and chill at work, rather than destroy my self for a couple more bucks. I did that when i was younger, but not anymore, it's not worth it.

Just watched it, honestly it seemed like it was extremely biased and the guy was a huge whiner.

Hes working at a job hes not cut out for, it requires lots of walking and thats pretty much it. Its about as simplistic a job as you can hope for, its not skilled in any way, what did he expect?

Amazon seems a bit strict on there workers but thats just because its such a low tier job that they have an abundance of people who will tolerate being treated like such.

There was nothing wrong with the work environment, no issues with health or safety, its just he didn't like how he was being treated and how "hard" he had to work.

Jacob Kral

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
Get over it wimps.. this is a completely normal job in America.. yeah it's a bit exhausting, but he also didn't have to walk that distance, they provide mini fork lifts you could drive around (and need to reach stuff on high shelves)..
A picker is pretty much a standard position in any warehousing business.

Eventually they will get smart warehouses that robotically fetch all these things, but then I bet you'll be whining about how the machines should be banned because they are stealing your job..

goodguy713

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
amazon is not for the weak hearted or the lazy. For those of you who say the job is meaning less ask all those people who get their orders on time. Its not about who dose what or how they do it but as long as it gets done right. Amazon has always been about the customer and the employees tend to take the back burner. but they have made changes in the last few years that have made working for them a little easier.

and most people dont realize that as the world moves to more and more online shopping there will be more and more people needed. retail brick and mortar places typically do not pay any where near what amazon dose.

Nilo BP

Honorable
Aug 24, 2013
And people complain that the evil corporations are shedding jobs in the West and moving to the East. Frankly, if I had to deal with whining employees augmented by TV sensationalism like this, I would set up shop somewhere else too.

And the worst part is that schools and the media continue to mass-produce entitled brats who think that hard work is beneath them.

G

People can't tolerate such simple jobs, then don't be surprised more and more factories shut down.

Amazon just provided 15 000 jobs. Any thanks?

rahvinous

Honorable
May 27, 2013
The British are awfully lazy folk anyways, just look at the cars they built back in the 70s and 80s, there is a reason why the German car industry took everything from them. It creates jobs, be grateful, is it the best job? No, but at least it's bringing food on the table. Secondly, I doubt working conditions are that bad, this isn't Foxconn or something. You have one simple job, don't whine, just do it.

pills161

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
This guy just isn't cut out for the job. I myself did this very job with one of Amazons current competitors and it wasn't such a slave drive as he makes it out to be. Although we didn't have our RF guns counting down and beeping at us, we still had numbers we had to hit and would be talked to if our total picks for the day were too low. As long as you had a decent pair of shoes it wasn't that bad on the feet, it was actually nice to get in so much exercise every day. I still work for the same company but am currently in a desk job, I miss being able walk around the warehouse all day haha.

jack1982

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
He's complaining that they gave him a scanner to make his job easier? And that his supervisors keep track of his productivity in comparison to his co-workers?

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Another typical moron used to a cushy job. Any of the low end menial jobs (warehousing, sales, customer service) have similar requirements and they keep track of EVERTHING. As long as you put the effort into it most of these jobs have decent pay.

People need to remember, if you want faster service at a cheaper price then more and more companies will do this. Unless you're willing to pay more shut-up.

geofry

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
In the UK any kind of "hard" work is considered detrimental by them. Construction work takes forever because they start around 9am and are done by 3pm (don't forget about lunch and tea time) with no weekends, buisnesses and resturants are closed alot of the time by 5pm even on the weekends and many are not open at all on Sundays. The only people you see working their tails off are the immigrants which they are very unhappy about because some are just as lazy and are soaking up the welfare, and the ones who don't are willing to work longer hours for less pay.

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
So, I'm 5'9" and my average comfortable walking speed is 2.4 MPH. I also wouldn't call myself 'in shape' either. If you take this individuals 11 miles over a 10.5 hour shift and take off said 1 hour for shift break time. its 11 miles over 9.5 hours, which equals 1.15 MPH. That is a dragging slow walking speed. Either the guy must be extremely out of shape or very lazy.

ioconnor

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
I don't have any sympathy for these workers. Perhaps they should only work two hours a day. Or maybe they should have a large pool of workers waiting in a play room where when their name gets called they can go work until they are tired. These UK workers sound like they are as fat and lazy as the typical overweight american...

Status
Not open for further replies.