1st gaming peripherals

kahunahana

Honorable
Dec 1, 2013
Hello all, this is my first post on these forums. I just wanted to know what you guys think good starting peripherals (mouse/keyboard/headset) are for a gamer who mostly plays fps games (cs;go, bf4) and League of legends. I was thinking of just doing a deathadder/blackwidow/kraken because razer seems to always have good reviews, but I want to know your guys' input. Thanks in advance.

YesEvil

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2011
Hi and welcome to Tom's Hardware.

There are a lot of great peripherals out there at the moment and plenty of leading brands.
Here is a list of peripherals I would recommend:

Mouse: Logitech G400s/G500s
Loved my G5, when I bought my new system I tried out a Tt eSports Black element but I think the G5 was better.

Keyboard: Logitech G710+/Any razer/CM/Steelseries mechanical keyboard
Quite simply, mechanical keyboards are the best. Take your pick from the variety on offer.

Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2
Absolutely love them. If you have more cash to spend though I would suggest going for a pair of Sennheisers. Those are the best you can get.

Monitor: BenQ XL2411T 24in LED 144Hz Gaming Monitor
Top of the line monitor. Only about 4-6 144Hz monitors on offer where I am (Victoria, Australia). They will give a massive difference to
your game.

You should always post a budget guideline to how much you want/can spend. It helps everyone else figure out what would suit your needs most.

G

I recently sold my rig (which I dearly loved but must sell) and what I had included:
Logitech G300 mouse; I don't know if they sell it anymore but it's AMAZING. Custom lights (for different mouse settings), multiple buttons, feels GREAT, smooth.. I used it to play CS:GO & Dota 2 and I would switch the settings by hitting one of the buttons when I played either game (I set different dpi etc. for each game).
Keyboard: I had a Steel Series Merc Stealth.. It's a great budget board for under $40 but I'd highly recommend a mechanical keyboard.
Headset: Do NOT buy gaming headsets! Seriously, buy a nice good pair of headphones and a Zalmon clip-on mic.. the quality is so much better for the money you're spending. I bought some Sony MDR-X10 headphones (on sale) with a zalman and it was so much better over the Turtlebeach P11's/X12's I've owned but returned because the quality was horrible. For the headphones, I wouldn't necessarily go with the one I have but do some extensive research and you'll find a nice deal.
Monitor: I had an Asus 23.6" 247H-P monitor and it was excellent. Got it for $135 because it fit my requirements of 1080p, 5ms response time, hdmi ports, etc. I'd highly recommend Asus monitors.

kamehameha1

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014
For your mouse, I would recommend one of the Mad Catz or Razer ones. They're both solid brands even though some people call them "overpriced".

If you want a keyboard, get a mechanical one. Those have better performance than all the regular ones out there. As pointed out a couple posts above, Razer keyboards are great, but again some people call Razer "overpriced" like I pointed out above.

Headsets... I never really tried any headsets other than ones created by Creative Labs. Look on their site if you want some great ones.