My idea: A possible solution for crappy pc gamers everywhere

CrapPCgamer

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
There is so much disregard for persons with inadequate PCs everywhere it sickens my stomach. Of course there are low spec alternatives available to those who still want to play, despite the terrible PCs they'd have to cope with, but I feel that just this simply isn't enough. There are many bright minds in the community, no? As so, I thought that this idea of mine would've been implemented years ago, for it is quite simplistic actually. At least, compared to other solutions.

Few of you here may know of the two programs I'm about to speak of: 3Danalyzer and Swiftshader. Although the latter was actually made with different purposes in mind, that didn't prevent it at all from being usable. My experiences with both programs were satisfactory; as they rightly served the purpose of providing a playable framerate, or above that even.

Skyrim was the game I used for testing these two programs. (Just to give you an idea on how insufficient my specs were for this game: Gefore GT 520M) Without using either of these, my framerates were at the range of 10-20 despite the game being configured at the lowest settings possible. So I messed with the settings 3Danalyzer had for a while before properly testing things, I made sure they were as good as can be. It provided a framerate of 15-30 even while battling with dragons... a significant improvement, I do say. And then Swiftshader. Like 3Danalyzer, it had settings that were configurable, which paved way for its maximum probable efficiency. After the necessities were taken care of, I launched the game. Oh lord, the framerates were almost maxed out! And I'm talking while I was messing around with dragons. I even raised the graphical settings to high, and it only decreased from 50-60 to 30-45, very very satisfactory. In other words, the results were PHENOMENAL. Much better than 3Danalyzer.

But that was of the past, and currently these programs don't work anymore. I really don't know why, but the only thing I knew was: this PC really sucked. I just knew the source of this problem had to do with my PC itself. When I saw that I actually had crappier framerates using either of the programs, I almost cried. And then from that day and on I started hating my PC more and more. But it's still a love and hate relationship, really.

And here I will present my marvelous idea, thought of in only 5 seconds: a program that forces lower graphical quality than the game can offer. If virtual graphic cards are possible (3Danalyzer) then why shouldn't this be? That program even emulated several complex settings.

I don't think I'll need to say anymore of the specifications. A simple idea can pave way for much more, simply. So now I do ask for discussion (and possibly someone willing to execute my idea), and tell me what you think. I'm only a tech newbie (actually, lesser than that) so my idea may seem somewhat stupid to some of you here.

Also, I just wanted to say, it would be great if someone continued 3Danalyzer. Even a noob like me can see many ways it can be improved.

I apologize if this actually already exists, I just can't find it anywhere. (no, not anything to do with configuring the game's settings itself. Don't you understand how millions of games don't allow for such a possibility? Unless ____ and etc).

CrapPCgamer

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Is that the conclusion you came to after testing the programs, or just by reading what I wrote? Either way, good luck on trying to convince me that a real increase in performance is an illusion, or a possible illusion. No offence, but were you on anything during making this reply of yours?

If you even had the slightest idea of how they actually worked, you would not have thought of something so stupid. Also, business and profit? 3Danalyzer is free, and so is Swiftshader.

Thoughtless assumptions.

aspri

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Yeah, the idea is great but I don't think that games developpers try to optimize games for let's say low-end gaming rigs, they always look to push up the levels, just look to the newest games, BF4, CoD Ghosts and Crysis 3 which is the supreme example of a game that won't even run on low-end PCs. So basically you ask developpers to make a beautiful 3D game that can run on new PCs and crappy (I mean low graphics) games for others?
When new tech such as Directx11 is implemented in game, develppers are experimenting new things, that's how technology works.
Good for you if you can get better FPS with those softwares, but they can't do much IMO. PS: I already tried with no success untill I upgraded to a better PC.

CrapPCgamer

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
I am terribly disappointed with the replies I have received so far. I expected intelligent discussion, not brainless disregard. As technology advances, it would only be natural for our equipment to do likewise. But you two seem to ignore the granted fact that not all of us are sufficient in financial resource, which is obviously required for the purchase of such technology.

So why don't you start using your brain for once, and seek out solutions smarter than "uhmm lol git bettur technologee herppp".

If u are not having sufficient financial resource then u also don't have the financial resource to buy a game. C'mon u don't want to play a game on low settings. Console gamers will make a fool out of u

CrapPCgamer

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Do you speak of games with price tags equivalent to how much a high-quality gaming computer can typically cost? What an absurd world you live in.

Graphics, bla bla bla. Obviously much more important than gameplay (or in this case, being able to play).

FunSurfer

Distinguished
To OP - There is a problem with your idea: as the games are becoming more and more demanding your program will have to work HARDER in order to disable all the new features of the games, for instance in DX9 games, the program will need to remove complex textures with simple ones, but in DX11 games your program will need to do that AND to disable tessellation, so you will have to get a better PC just to run your program...
The best way to play games at low cost is to get a hardware and games from 5 years ago, they are very cheap now, but the price for that is you always stay years behind everyone.
PS: Your replies for the other pepole are patronizing and insulting, like the whole world need to revolve around you, who do you think you are? Aizen Soske?

A properly configured budget gaming PC for 700$ can run games at Ultra quality. For example
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/build-a-pc-fx-6300-overclocking,3617.html

Now most people would argue that a console costs 400$ but consoles require subscriptions for multiplayer and games are also costlier. In the long run PC is cheaper

I play games like Limbo,Mark of the Ninja, Portal even if my PC can handle Crysis franchise easily... graphics..bla,bla,bla

CrapPCgamer

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Funsurfer, there is an obvious solution to your supposed problem - as games advance into more complex games, then the program will cope by advancing as well. Whatever advanced features later forms of games would introduce, an updated version of the program shall take care of those. And if we can't disable all graphically enchancing features, you would still have better framerates than if you were to disable none at all probably.

Sorry about that, after making such a long thread, I somehow expected all those who would post in it were to have opinions no different from an expert's perspective. I've gotten too used to... forums of the serious kind.

And chimera, you still haven't explained why having insufficient financial resource to buy gaming computers would mean also having insufficient resource to buy games of meager two digits.

CrapPCgamer

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
There are many ways to tweak a PC so as to maximize its potential output. Even a weak PC might be able to run Skyrim just fine if that is done, not to mention a few modifications.

I don't quite understand as to why you would care for graphics so much. You seem to hold it in higher regard than the game itself, perhaps you're young. Skyrim has so much more to offer than boorish eyecandy, and it may be quite safe to say that it's not because of the visuals that many consider it a great game. Low settings or not, it will still be Skyrim.

When are you going to give me an explanation as to our little problem, by the way.

CrapPCgamer

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Children, let's not be unrealistic and discuss intelligently. I'm talking specifically about you, Kristian.

Also, we weren't talking about funds for games, funds for a quality computer. Reading comprehension, do you have it?

Funny, I have this feeling that you yourself still live with parents. Judging by how immature you are.

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
When Oblivion came out my system met the specs, I double checked. I got it and it ran like crap, unplayable really. I had a Nvidia FX 5600 Ultra which as it turned out did Shader 2.0 really terribly. I found "oldblivion" which allowed me to run Oblivion in 1.1 Shader model. 3DAnalyzer allowed others to play as well. I am certain that oldblivion helped sell Oblivion to a huge low-end user market.
That being said, Bethesda never once acknowledged oldblivion. I think also the incredible size of the user base of oldblivion really spoke of how there is a massive potential of possible sales that is being ignored. Regardless of what many people may believe, there are people willing to play games on low. The fact that oldblivion came out in 2006 and was still being utilized by many in 2011 speaks volumes. Many people may claim that all these low end users are pirates, "because who is going to pay to play a game on low". I can attest they weren't, many of the last work-arounds we were coming up for were for Oblivion GotY Edition on Steam, which needed the oldblivion files set-up in a specific way.
Anyway, bottom line is I think your right there is a massive user base willing to play games on low settings but big software companies are not going to have some sort of Ultra Low setting because they want there games as showcases. Bethesda actually did add an Ultra Low setting in a patch but it was in response to all the angry people who met the requirements but could not play Oblivion.
Basically, it will be up to a third party to create more software shader emulators such as 3DAnalyze because big companies just aren't going to allow it. Also the hardware market does have to be driven whether we like it or not. My last computer was bought in 2003 and I made a memory upgrade and a video card in 2008. I just got a "new" computer in 2013 and I plan on stretching that for years to come.

ddub

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Sure, great software that can force games to render using older shader technology or otherwise greatly reduce graphics to increase framerate would be great. No one is arguing with that. Sounds very complicated though.

The very first response from KristianAA where he mentions business and profit, I read that like he meant it would be a bad idea to have software like this because then it would decrease business for companies like Intel and Nvidia.

So don't be surprised when people treat you poorly after you immediately attack the guy because you misunderstood him.

aspri

Honorable
Dec 7, 2012
Rather than that Oblivion seems more like the publisher fault. Why saying that these specs could run the game when it appears that you need a better Pc to run the game. It's good that there are devs out there who most of them like the game, or are geek fans and manage to make great things out like OldBlivion or I don't know what's the name. I remember for FarCry the game had many issues and the community managed to patch the game making it look good and playable.
You can't be always that lucky with games man.

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Exactly, with Oblivion a smart group of programmers were able to take advantage of a half completed yet dropped support for Shader 1.1. I remember people would come on and ask, how about an "old-Assassin Creed", wondering if there was a way to create an "oldblivion"-like program for this or that game, which there was no way because it was based on an exploit.
As I said before this kind of program will only be created by a third-party most likely motivated enthusiasts.

FunSurfer

Distinguished
I read about the program 3D Analyzer and its main purpose was to help lower-end graphic cards with new games features that the cards didn't support, not just to boost an old card performance. it is explained here:
http://wiredhut.blogspot.co.il/2011/08/3d-analyzer-graphics-card-emulator.html

If the graphic card is too weak to run the game it means that 3D Analyzer uses additional resources for the task, and they have to be taken from the CPU. Usually when someone buy a PC, even a new one, the CPU is much more capable from the GFX (for the same time of production) so the GFX can be upgraded after about 2 years and the CPU will still not bottleneck the GFX. So 3D Analyzer can exploit the unused power of the CPU and help the GFX. Bottom line is, that if a CPU can emulate a GFX and merge with the existing GFX there is a solution that will help weak low end PCs to run the newest games, no matter how much demanding they are, and that is a new "3D Analyzer with Cloud Support", so the CPUs in the servers will help the GFX of the PC. It will be much cheaper from buying a new high-end PC even if the monthly fee will be $5. As the CPUs in the servers will increase in power they will compensate for the increased requirements of the newer games.
If some "third-party of motivated enthusiasts" will develop this program I hope that they will also develop the much needed "DX11.2 emulator for Windows 7".

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013

That is a great idea! All I can do is pray. :)

FunSurfer

Distinguished

Yeah, Windows Vista, a DX10 OS, got a DX10.1 AND DX11 support, and Windows 7 didn't even get a full DX11.1 support...