Amazon to Use Drones to Deliver Packages in 30 Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Wow this just put a smile on my face, I really wish for this to become a standard. I do question if they charge for the orange container that has your package inside because I doubt they'll be disposable.

yermommy

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
There are so many things that could go wrong with this. The first thing I can think of is that a hood rat will try and steal the drone for the sake of stealing. The next problem I can think of is how about if somebody shoots one of these out of the sky and steals the package? As much as I would love to see this implemented, there seems to be too many "what if?" scenarios.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
This doesn't have a chance in hell of working. Too many factors such as weather affecting packages and drone, or people wanting to steal an expensive drone or package. The only way this works is in very rural areas like the countryside where it's one residence per acre.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Jane, aren't you four months early on this story?

If this really isn't a joke, and one of these flying monsters clips a pet of mine, I'm designing a Flak cannon and selling it as a XBone or PS4 upgrade. It's such an upgrade it doesn't even plug into the console, the console just gives you flight information, and away you go knocking down these godless insects. Not only that, you get prizes, sometimes undamaged, on each kill.

It would make a nice profit, the gamer would get their money back over time, and have great fun. The consumer would figure out there's another way to get items in 30 minutes - there's an invention called a "store". Amazon would lose, but by going on the decadent path, they should.

If you think that's an overreaction, just imagine what happens when one of these things malfunctions and comes down on an animal, tree, or human with some of the blades still twirling. Sooner or later everything malfunctions, and even though the odds of clipping something living are low, multiply it by the enormous amount of things Amazon sells, and will ship this way, and it's simply inevitable something is getting nailed by this monstrosity.

Since Amazon is now using USPS, it's not like using these demons will lessen the amount of driving necessary, since they have to go to every house anyway.

Also, what if birds follow these vile beast? It sure seems confident, and purposeful, and they might decide it's an alpha bird, of some sort. It's a matter of time before Amazon decides it should crow to announce your package, and then all the hens will find it irresistible.

If I see one, I'm shooting it down. Of course, that's after it's delivered my package.

and its not even April 1st yet... we can't get drones up and running on a 2 dimensional plane, where they could carry a real load, so lets go straight to 3 dimensional with a 5 lb limit. There's a million 'what ifs' I dont want to list, unless Amazon pays me for the labor :-D

joneb

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
"Whats that honey?"
"Its just a drone delivering a package next door dear."
BOOOOOM!!!
"BBC news flash as package delivery drones were used to deliver bombs across the UK killing or seriously injuring many people and damaging property."

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
It still amazes me how many people read a headline and don't read the article or try to understand it or click to the source.

Per Amazon :
"Putting Prime Air into commercial use will take some number of years as we advance technology and wait for the necessary FAA rules and regulations. "

This is a commercial folks, nothing more nothing less. If you think this is happening now, then you must also think that Marines fight a giant magma monster to get their sword and M&M's are giant living pieces of chocolate....

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Do these things have built in cameras? Can they prove I got my delivery if I claim otherwise? Once these things were permitted, what's to stop other less honest people from creating drones that look similar (so that no one is suspicious of them) but are intended to do things like take photographs, deliver illegal substances, cause harm and damage property, etc. This would be a Pandora's box of problems.

Imbrium

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Since when does Prime get you Sunday delivery? It doesn't even offer Saturday delivery half the time (orders placed on Thursday often don't arrive until Monday) and Saturday-placed orders arrive on Tuesday. Heck, Thanksgiving week meant even longer delivery times, and *not* because of the 1-day holiday - an order placed Thursday showed Tuesday delivery (I get that Thurs. was a holiday, but it should've counted as a Friday order and arrived on Monday), Wednesday delivery for an order placed on Saturday (should've been Tuesday - holiday was over already).

sun-devil99

Honorable
Jul 17, 2012
Sunday delivery I think is only in LA and New York. Placed an order on Thanksgiving, said it would arrive on Tuesday. Got it on Saturday and that includes it going FedEx to the local postal facility.

f-14

Distinguished
the next Ted Kazansky will put an end to this. unibomber packages showing up to police stations, prisons, hospitals, government agents homes and politicians via GPS tracking on cell phones will be the death of many.

jurassic512

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
"There are so many things that could go wrong with this. The first thing I can think of is that a hood rat will try and steal the drone for the sake of stealing. "

You're an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.