Upgrade options for aging computer!

rewwst

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hey guys,

I purchased my computer about 3 years ago now and i think its time for an upgrade to some of the parts. I think the best option will be to upgrade the GPU and the ram which should keep me going for another 3 years. I have around 1k to spend.

Here are my specs of my current computer config :

27 inch 1440p display

Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3

Intel Core i7 2600 Processor LGA1155 3.4GHz CPU

Gigabyte ATI HD6950 1GB OC GDDR5 DVI HDMI

Im thinking about the 780ti and another 8gigs of the same ram would really help my computer. What do you guys think i want this comptuer to really last another 3 years if possible. Is there any new hardware coming our that i should be aware of new ram or gpu around the conner to wait on?

Solution
You probably wouldn't benefit much from more RAM, unless the PC is not for gaming and you're rendering or something similar.

You really won't need to spend 1k. My advice would be to just upgrade the GPU (as long as your PSU can support it), and if you really are itching to spend the 1k, I would get the i7-3770k and a z77 board (assuming your current one isn't).

enemy1g

Honorable
You probably wouldn't benefit much from more RAM, unless the PC is not for gaming and you're rendering or something similar.

You really won't need to spend 1k. My advice would be to just upgrade the GPU (as long as your PSU can support it), and if you really are itching to spend the 1k, I would get the i7-3770k and a z77 board (assuming your current one isn't).

Solution

rewwst

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Thanks for the advice, my computer is always using over 7gb of ram when i use system resourses so i thought the ram would help. I dont need to spend the entire 1k if i dont see much return. My psu is 850w so should be okay for most cards.