Your question
Closed

DICE's Johan Andersson Talks BF4, Frostbite, Mantle, The Future

Last response: in Reviews comments
December 2, 2013 10:09:32 PM

On Page 1, the soldier, is that Joey Tribbianni? :D 
Score
December 2, 2013 10:49:49 PM

I can't wait till this game is on Linux with proper fully baked FGLRX drivers and Mantle on Linux!

Come on AMD! Bring it already!!!! SteamMachines are around the corner!
Score
December 2, 2013 10:52:39 PM

Yeah, it seems like him... but I am skeptic, if he could do a bad ass soldier though.. ;) 
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 12:58:14 AM

Very low quality Interview. All questions are made in a way so that Johan Andersson can promote their company and their games. There is not a single question about something meaningfull to the comunity. Its all like:
-Your game is good in this?
-Yes our game is good in this becouse [...].

Just the phrasing and the form changes.

At least the users in tomshardware can still offer some solid information. And later people dont understand why 80% of the readers automaticly jump to user comments before reading the full article.
Score
December 3, 2013 2:18:28 AM

Arrgghh, Give us more details on Mantle implementations in BF4 already!!!
Score
December 3, 2013 2:50:20 AM

"Sure we did still have to do a little bit of a compromise on the solution. We're not running at the full native 1080p; we’re running a little bit lower resolution than that."

Good lord! The PS4 can't even run Battlefield 4, a launch title, at 1080p? Where will these consoles be in 5 years time?!?!
Score
December 3, 2013 2:57:16 AM

bemused_fred said:
"Sure we did still have to do a little bit of a compromise on the solution. We're not running at the full native 1080p; we’re running a little bit lower resolution than that."

Good lord! The PS4 can't even run Battlefield 4, a launch title, at 1080p? Where will these consoles be in 5 years time?!?!
Gulf town or Any 6 core Intel CPU will be the next QX9650, after 5-8years and will still be kicking ass.

May be spending $500-600 on a CPU + a 5years warranty reliable Asus Sabertooth X79 isnt a bad investment. lol

Score
December 3, 2013 4:11:00 AM

bemused_fred said:

Its still early in the console cycle and devs will need time to fully unlock them. With the semi heterogeneous architectures of the new consoles its going to be a steep learning curve to figure out the best ways to utilize GPU compute power. They talk about having the CPU at 95% utilization but just because its busy doesn't mean its efficient. Busy is easy to achieve, efficiency is not. There's a lot of room to grow yet.

That plus I don't think most exclusive console gamers are really worried about 1080p (other than a random number in a vacuum that seems bigger than other random numbers). If they were truly worried about resolution they'd be on a PC. The games are still prettier than a 360/PS3 so they'll be happy in the end.

Score
December 3, 2013 4:24:00 AM

bemused_fred said:

Frostbite is probably most demanding engine out there... check if your PC can run BF4 at min. 60 FPS in high details @ 1080p. There are many that can't.
Next gen consoles are speced like mediocre gaming PC of today. WTH you expect.
In near future programmers will be able to squeeze bit more juice of them because of more unified and exposed hardware but that's all.
Performance and Quality is on PC.
Score
December 3, 2013 5:33:15 AM

Yeah, the game looks amazing, then it crashes randomly. Then you play it a little, then it crashes. Then in single player it crashes, then during a map change it crashes, then when someone blows something up somewhere else on the map, it crashes. Guess they forgot to mention the terrible release they've had and the lack of support or acknowledgement. Unless of course you count double XP and a pistol attachment, "acknowledgement".
Score
December 3, 2013 5:34:03 AM

Yeah, the game looks amazing, then it crashes randomly. Then you play it a little, then it crashes. Then in single player it crashes, then during a map change it crashes, then when someone blows something up somewhere else on the map, it crashes. Guess they forgot to mention the terrible release they've had and the lack of support or acknowledgement. Unless of course you count double XP and a pistol attachment, "acknowledgement".
Score
December 3, 2013 5:42:13 AM

Really poor interview. No specific details on mantle or how much boost in performance, any graphic enhancements, or if/how it will affect Nvidia gpu. I learned absolutely nothing reading this interview.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 6:07:15 AM

I REALLY want to see some Mantle news. A release date would be great.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 6:45:37 AM

In other news Nvidia has been secretly creating their own api call Lava.
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 6:47:02 AM

Everyone whinning about mantle, this is an article talking to Dice, not AMD. Dice can't talk about another companies product that they haven't discussed yet. What did you want, Dice to spill everything?

As for the PS4 can't do 1080p, so what? How much do you have to spend on a PC to 1080p on BF4 on ultra? $1500+ compared to $400.
Score
December 3, 2013 6:57:27 AM

bemused_fred said:

Go get a PS3/XB 360 emulator and try run it on your PC, watch your system be brought to its knees.

The Console is a process monster capable of scaling its hardware to the point it gives guarenteed fixed smooth performance. I have a 2400 and a GTX670 DCUII and BF4 has CPU spikes as high as 110ms despite rendering around 60FPS on ultra preset. The end result is stutter and lags which you will never see on a console even on the biggest home entertainment systems today.

A guarenteed 30FPS with no latency at any TV setup is far better than my friends IBe and 780ti micro stuttering system with serious latency spikes.

Score
December 3, 2013 6:58:37 AM

@getochkn
Mate, it is actually far less than $1500... try $499; BUT a caveat, only possible once Mantle is out AND available in Linux AND the game has a linux-steamMachine port; else Windows-reinstall on the SteamMachine with BF4 running with Mantle.

But it is still all theory, no proof! Here's to hoping! :) 
http://rootgamer.com/8383/tool/steamos/steam-machine-am...
Score
a b 4 Gaming
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 7:06:05 AM

DanglingPointer said:
@getochkn
Mate, it is actually far less than $1500... try $499; BUT a caveat, only possible once Mantle is out AND available in Linux AND the game has a linux-steamMachine port; else Windows-reinstall on the SteamMachine with BF4 running with Mantle.

But it is still all theory, no proof! Here's to hoping! :) 
http://rootgamer.com/8383/tool/steamos/steam-machine-am...

$499 for a hypothetical machine that doesn't say anywhere it will do BF4 on max, or that BF4 would even be ported to it. This article is about BF4, comments were about BF4, so you post a steam machine page.
Score
December 3, 2013 7:27:48 AM

Where is the 3D in BF4? BF3 was 3D vision ready and after upgrading to a second graphic card in sli just before launch we find out no 3d support. Is this because of their marriage with amd this round? very disappointing.
Score
December 3, 2013 7:28:26 AM

Where is the 3D in BF4? BF3 was 3D vision ready and after upgrading to a second graphic card in sli just before launch we find out no 3d support. Is this because of their marriage with amd this round? very disappointing.
Score
December 3, 2013 7:29:50 AM

@sarinaide

for starters, the reason why emulating the last gen consoles is so hard is because the run a completely different architecture, nearly all of the power loss if from this.

As for the PC having latency spikes this is down to companies ignoring the PC market, there are several games i can name that have been released with glaring problems and errors that were never fixed and in some cases made the game unplayable *cough*fallout 3*cough*

Still looks better on PC though and as i already have a PC and enjoy building and upgrading it i wont be getting a console
Score
December 3, 2013 8:29:48 AM

"The Console is a process monster capable of scaling its hardware to the point it gives guarenteed fixed smooth performance. I have a 2400 and a GTX670 DCUII and BF4 has CPU spikes as high as 110ms despite rendering around 60FPS on ultra preset. The end result is stutter and lags which you will never see on a console even on the biggest home entertainment systems today."

This is because the console has a locked framerate of 30fps. Simply do the same on the pc and it will run just as smooth. DUH
Score
December 3, 2013 8:33:27 AM

If the console didn't lock its framerate to 30fps then it would have the same stutters as any cheap pc.

There is nothing hard to code for these consoles. The hardware is virtually the same as a cheap pc. The problem is that these consoles will last another 7 years and we pc gamers will be stuck with lack of gaming innovations due to the medicore hardware used in these so called nextgen consoles. The same thing is happening with the current consoles.
Score
December 3, 2013 8:51:15 AM

"Yeah, cool."

"Cool"

"Okay"

Top notch journalism bro.
Score
December 3, 2013 9:12:19 AM

Who cares about Mantle and this other shenanigans when the questions that should have been asked is, "WHEN WILL YOU FIX YOUR GAME???"

Why release DLC when the game itself is still uber broken?

PRIORITIES!
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 9:20:40 AM

Mantle's still in the idea phase. If they had any real evidence to how good it is, they'd be showing something, somewhere. Maybe not in this not so great interview, but somewhere.

I appreciate the interview though.

@Steveymoo - he might not have actually said those words. He might have been begging, pleading, or cussing like crazy to get answers, or something... lol... couldn't print that.

While the consoles aren't that powerful, and some feel that alone will hold back the PC side, I offer you that due to the similar architecture, the engines should be able to scale up and down more efficiently for the hardware present. Hopefully they always include a plethora of options on the PC side to really customize the quality / performance.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 9:23:18 AM

As for the silly comment about seeing BF4 on linux, get real. The guy actually mentioned the market share of Microsoft in mobile, so they are well aware of the linux share as well. Why spend a bunch of time and money to have it run on linux with no guarantee of breaking even on the investment? What company in any industry would do that when they have better options readily available?
Score
December 3, 2013 9:57:02 AM

OK, this article is clearly just advertising for the company.

How do you interview and not discuss the myriad of launch issues BF4 suffered, and is still suffering? Why does it matter that you can blow up a sky scraper if you crash every 10 minutes, or the sound cuts out on half the maps? I like the game and the direction it's taking, but this is pandering, and tomshardware readers deserve better.
Score
December 3, 2013 10:59:45 AM

Quote:
Paracel Storm for example in BF4 when you see that the entire level becomes stormy and you see the water changing and it starts to rain. The sky is changing. Actually the lighting change is quite significant on the level, and also we added a lot of dynamic wind simulation on trees and various types of foliage.

This. The changes in this particular level actually completely change the gameplay. Your depth of field and overall line of sight is completely affected, as is your ability to move due to the wind and waves.

I'm excite to see how this will come up in future Premium levels.

This game has had its issues, but BF is still an awesome franchise and I think we'll see some pretty cool things from Frostbite and the series overall in the near future.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 11:01:30 AM

Only reason i looked at this was because it said mantle....
Score
December 3, 2013 11:13:52 AM

Fix dat game first , the bugs and netcode problems, and tell me later of graphic eyecandy and what damn platform is better.
"PC"
Score
December 3, 2013 11:38:43 AM

Hey guys,
This interview was a conversation between Johan and I. You'll have the pardon the conversational elements. It wasn't intended to be an investigative piece into EA's issues with BF4 post-launch, which I too have encountered.
Score
December 3, 2013 8:03:52 PM

Always thought the soldier resembled Peter Dante.
Score
December 3, 2013 8:50:05 PM

All that butt massaging and no mention of the incessant bugs in the game and no mention of why they failed to produce a solid product from day one or how they plan to prevent similar failings at launch for the next iteration of the franchise!
Score
December 3, 2013 9:59:36 PM

I wonder if an investment in a real hired beta test team is apart of their future plans...
Score
December 4, 2013 6:01:53 AM

Way to ask the hard questions Tom's. I expect more out of you. I'd love to know what BF4 looks like playing consistently for more than 20 minutes at a time before getting dumped, getting put into the wrong game mode, having the game lock up, or having the game completely refuse to put me into a match. That doesn't even begin to address the fact that I can't get into any of the new maps at all. This release, like all EA releases is a disaster.
Score
December 4, 2013 9:36:06 AM

I know the interview was about GPU technology and future gaming. But I am disappointed in the interview and felt Chris could have at least asked 1 or 2 questions about some of the issues BF4 users are having. After all they have paid a lot of money for their game and there are several bugs / issues.
Score
December 7, 2013 1:23:43 PM

Why didn't you ask him the hard questions? Like "Why does the game crash so often, why is the netcode so bad?."
Score
December 8, 2013 4:56:28 AM

Chris: Next time ask him to add a backdoor or kill switch to disable motion blur and depth of field on any game using frostbite.
Score
December 9, 2013 3:53:25 PM

Very good and detailed interview.. But hes my criticism of BF4 graphics. There is nowhere near enough headroom for increasing detail on high end gaming systems. Even my 2 yr old 7970 and 3570k, very easily get 60fps + with everything on ultra and 2xmsaa at 2560x1440. With mantle all i will get is even more fps, that i dont really need. To get to the point i would have loved to have seen at least double the reflection map resolution, realtime depth of field during gameplay (skyrim enbs wrok wonderfully), even higher texture resolution, higher shadow resolution, and higher polygon counts. Surely its quite easy to introduce that, so that high end rigs have something to aim for. Anyway, i know that is to come once they start focusing on just the next gen.

Score
December 9, 2013 3:58:56 PM

ULTRA settings should bring your pc to its knees. Instead a modern gaming makes mince meat of this setting.
Score
December 10, 2013 7:44:14 AM

Rendering on a console at a lower resolution than 1080p and then up-scaling, is a trick often used im many games especially in the last generation. Its not a revelation or a lack of capability of the PS4. Its just that you don't get to hear about such details normally. Its just a fine tuning to make sure its hitting 60fps targets.
Score
December 10, 2013 9:12:43 AM

Rendering on a console at a lower resolution than 1080p and then up-scaling, is a trick often used im many games especially in the last generation. Its not a revelation or a lack of capability of the PS4. Its just that you don't get to hear about such details normally. Its just a fine tuning to make sure its hitting 60fps targets.
Score
December 10, 2013 7:58:00 PM

Not much game in Battlefield anymore. They make pretty sets for a choreographed 6~8 hour shooter that has a significant amount of cut scenes. Maybe we should start talking about them as a choose your own adventure movie instead since the gameplay itself is not at all challenging.
Score
December 11, 2013 6:08:58 AM

Don't understand why this inteview wasn't edited. Cut all of the equivalents of the interviewer saying "go on" and edit some of the "going forward"!
Score
December 13, 2013 1:36:00 PM

Yeah sure ok, cool. Yeah cool. Right very cool? Right. Yeah, Excellent. Yeah. Excellent. Excellent, okay? Yeah. Okay, excellent right? Right. Okay, cool, okay. Sure. Mm-hmm. Yeah right, right? Very cool. Right. Yeah.

Chris, when you start a sentence, try not to use these words, just start the sentence.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 14, 2013 2:28:19 PM

DanglingPointer said:
I can't wait till this game is on Linux with proper fully baked FGLRX drivers and Mantle on Linux!

Come on AMD! Bring it already!!!! SteamMachines are around the corner!

Not happening.
You can go ahead and kill that wet dream.
Score
!