Before I start, here are the computer specs :

Intel® CoreTM i5 3350P, 3100MHz, 6MB, socket 1155
    Dual Channel Kingston 8GB (2 x 4096MB), DDR3, 1600MHz
    HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA3, ST1000DM003
    Gigabyte Z77-D3H, socket 1155 motherboard
    MSI nVidia GeForce GTX660, 2048MB, GDDR5, DVI, PCI-E
    Cooler Master Elite 430 Black case
    Inter-Tech Energon, 750W power supply

I just put together a new PC with the pieces above and I have the following issue. After everything is coupled , I try to boot but I get no monitor signal. I tried with a HDMI cable from the GPU to a TV and with a DVI to VGA adapter from GPU to monitor. I looked online to see if anyone has the same issue, and I saw many people with it, and they said they solved it with a BIOS update.

I tried installing an older GPU(Geforce GT220) on the same PCI-E16 slot, and same issue, PC booted,but still no monitor signal. Once I switched it to a PCI-E4 slot, i managed to get monitor signal and I got into the BIOS update screen. I didn't update, since I was in a rush to get to work and I hadn't downloaded the .exe yet, so I just turned it off and left.

Later when I got home, I got the BIOS update on a USB stick, I plugged it in, booted, and same issue as before, no signal. I'm out of ideas right now, so I hope you guys can give me any further advice.

Cheers

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Have you tried using the motherboard D-SUB, DVI or HDMI? I'm not 100% sure, but I thought Lucid Virtu was able to link it to the GPU or something.

Can you try to go back to bios updating again? I guess that's your only shot. Guessing that you don't have a spare 1155 CPU with integrated GPU, or maybe more GPU's to test.

Dragos1993

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I did, although I had the nvidia GPU plugged in at the same time. I read on the web that the onboard motherboard graphics won't kick in if there already is another dedicated GPU installed. When I get home I will try to remove the nvidia GPU and see what happens.

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Your CPU doesn't have a integrated GPU, so that won't work. I only suggested it because it sometimes links the motherboard connectors to the GPU on newer motherboards.. (somehow mine does. Asus Sabertooth z77)

Dragos1993

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
Well I got it to work, updated the BIOS, installed Windows and all the necessary drivers, it works with the 660 but there's another issue, which I think was the one preventing me before. It doesn't boot instantly. I press the power button, fans start working, but there's nothing happening. I hear this small "tick"sound every 5 seconds. I have to shut it down and boot again about 3-4 times, before I hear the BEEP sound and then it's fine . Could it be the motherboard ?
I really don't mind it now, an extra 30 seconds to boot the PC, but I don't the problem to turn greater in the future

kemperkipie

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2011
Hmmm.. the times it doesn't boot, do you get the bios post? or can you get into the bios? If you don't, it's clearly another bug in the bios. I personally don't know much about Gigabyte, so I can't say if they have a lot of bios-related problems.
Do you have the most recent BIOS they offer? This seems to be the most recent one
Another option is just to run through all of you Bios settings to see if there is anything that could be causing this problem

Dragos1993

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
When it doesn't boot , nothing happens besides the fans running and that "tick" sound. There's no signal to the monitor or anything, so I doubt the bios posts. And yes, when I updated it , I updated to f21 from f18.

Dragos1993

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I managed to single out the problem.I was thinking either the PSU or the motherboard but the latter one was defective. I hooked up the new PSU to the old computer, everything worked great, booted instantly with no problem. Then I decided to hook it back again to the new one, guess what, the z77 got fried.I hooked the PSU back to the old one, to make sure it's fine and again it worked well. I'll take the mobo back today and hope for a refund.