Far Cry 3 Odd FPS Drops

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Sorry to start another thread about FC3 fps issues but I couldn't find any posts related to my problem. My issue is I'm getting fps drops that I believe to be cpu related, not gpu. All in game settings maxed except for post fx and shadows with no AA @ 1920x1080. I have only played the beginning of the game so far, but my fps starts at 60fps then drops to the 40's when you start sneaking past the guards. My gpus are not being maxed during the fps drops, and they still occur with all settings on low. My fps does go up if I apply an OC to the cpu but that adds an odd microstutter that makes the game appear to run even slower. Any thoughts on how to improve this without buying a new cpu?
Win7 64
I7-870 3.0gz
2 560ti's SLI
12 gigs ddr3

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks but that's the first thing I tried. Strangely enough my fps is really erratic when using only one card. It will start at 30 then shoot up to 60 and then go back down again.

Does changing settings from low-high make a difference at all or not really? Have you checked all your temps and updated drivers? I play the game fine with a Phenom x4 @ 3.7GHz & a 2Gb Radeon 6950 and even when the fps is low it feels smooth.

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
So I've been playing around and it seems the fps drops come from looking at a busy scene from a distance. Lowering all the settings does seem to help a bit, but the frame rate still drops.