Diagnosing Black Screen Problem

arbitrary

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I booted my computer up the other morning and start running a game and some music. After a short time the computer stutters and shuts down. I go into safe mode and start running a virus scan, when the screen goes blank. I then go to format the computer and reinstall the OS, and the screen goes blank. I eventually come to the conclusion its a hardware issue, I think it's the graphics card since everything seems to run fine until a short while after boot the screen just blacks out. I could be overlooking something or completely off base so I wanted someone's opinion before I go out an buy a new card.

arbitrary

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
totally did the trick. Doing a reinstallation and no black outs. Ya, pretty much confirms I need a new card. Thx for the awesome idea!

arbitrary

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
That's a scary thought, makes more sense though... my graphics card is definitely my most power hungry device... I don't have another pc aside from my laptop, any other ideas how I might be able to test this?

arbitrary

Honorable
Dec 3, 2013
I guess in comparing cost ill be lucky if its the power supply, my gtx 580 was pretty expensive compared to the power supply. The thought of rewiring everything in the case is not a nice thought though. When I turn on the computer with my graphics card it lasts for 2-3 mins before the screen blacks out. If the graphics card was really the faulty piece would it even work at all?