December 3, 2013 3:16:58 PM

So it begins..
a c 91 U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 3:21:06 PM

they should call it 290x FIREBALL or something for that 450W :p 

that said, this shall be exciting to witness in benchmarks
Related resources
December 3, 2013 3:28:15 PM

so cute :D  one graphic card per power supply!
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 3:34:08 PM

So we went from how fast can it run Crysis to how fast can it cook a steak.
December 3, 2013 3:55:36 PM

Finally! An R9-290-series card worth buying! Y'know, if you have the money that is....
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 3:57:37 PM

xroe said:

Man, we need an update to that one with AMD, hahaha.

Cheers!
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 3:59:25 PM

Yuka said:
xroe said:

Man, we need an update to that one with AMD, hahaha.

Cheers!

Not going to lie, that's the pro-est thing I have ever seen.
December 3, 2013 4:16:03 PM

I want to pull the trigger on a R9-290 but damn its a power hog! Debating on waiting for updated version.
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 5:01:41 PM

That card is power hungry, om nom nom nom!
December 3, 2013 5:08:05 PM

Good think I posted this in the forums 2 days ago.
December 3, 2013 5:49:38 PM

Does it come with an air conditioner?
December 3, 2013 6:08:18 PM

One of the power connectors is there just to spin the cooling fans fast enough :) 
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 6:33:31 PM

Ok guys after talking to a guy behind an ally he confirmed that the card uses that much power to power a hidden flux capacitor. Apparently this aim of this card is to use it to travel back in time three years and show off the card. He himself stated that this would be purely for bragging rights before calling me a punk and urinating on my shoes.
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2013 7:00:30 PM

Zeh said:
Does it come with an air conditioner?

It needs 2 air conditioners too cool it and a nuclear reactor to power that thing.
December 3, 2013 7:18:59 PM

Did anyone think of the possibility that maybe it is one board for two different cards. A 290 with a 6 and an 8 pin connector or a 290X with two 8 pin connectors.
December 3, 2013 7:19:45 PM

Apparently AMD didn't get the message that this is a device for making mathematical calculations quickly, not an internal combustion engine or an apparatus for cooking food. A computer component should operate at room temperature, ideally. Realistically, a few dozen C of leeway is ok. But if a component operates at a significantly -higher than room temp- temperature (or requires a significantly lower temp to work properly), something is VERY wrong.
December 3, 2013 8:11:23 PM

sweeeeet.
now my PC will double as an easy bake oven so i can hast my cake and eat it!
tits man.
December 3, 2013 8:57:13 PM

xroe said:

Hah!!!!

That's good. Strange thing though, a friend of mine at my old job told me something interesting. The owner decided to bitcoin/litecoin and had 2 R9-290s running and they were only pushing 81-85c each. I was surprised but I guess it must depend on ambient and air flow.

I can't wait to see the AiB ones as I know they will be way better.
December 3, 2013 9:24:27 PM

dnw1962 said:
Did anyone think of the possibility that maybe it is one board for two different cards. A 290 with a 6 and an 8 pin connector or a 290X with two 8 pin connectors.

You sir/ma'am get a +1 interwebs for the day. That's very possible HOWEVER I'm looking forward to it being a 2x8 1x6 because my psu has 6x6+2's on it and the power to back it. Not that I want the board to require 450w each, just that they have the ability, hell maybe the 8 or the 6 will be an "optional" plug that we don't even need.
December 4, 2013 1:05:35 AM

I don't think it will be that hard to power this card, the hard part will be figuring out how to dispose of your spent fuel rods. #radiation poisoning #yolo
December 4, 2013 1:22:45 AM

xiinc37 said:
Apparently AMD didn't get the message that this is a device for making mathematical calculations quickly, not an internal combustion engine or an apparatus for cooking food. A computer component should operate at room temperature, ideally. Realistically, a few dozen C of leeway is ok. But if a component operates at a significantly -higher than room temp- temperature (or requires a significantly lower temp to work properly), something is VERY wrong.

I'm not quite sure you follow how a computer works. Try running your computer without any heatsinks and tell me that it's going to run at room temp. AMD screwed the pooch with their reference. But what do you think they are going to do when we turn 95c into acceptable range for ocing with 450 watts running at 60-70c stock max load with an aftermarket cooler? I think upping the acceptable safe temp to 95c is a wonderful thing, not bad.
December 4, 2013 1:30:39 AM

It seems like they need to be worrying about more cooling than power.... Just my thoughts. I love the performance of those cards.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2013 6:09:02 AM

the last time we saw msi have a card with 2 8pins and a 6 pin was when the 480 lightning was out
December 4, 2013 7:12:00 AM

I'd really like to see the performance numbers and noise numbers for their 290 and 290X! Can hardly wait! :-)
December 4, 2013 8:13:13 AM

I hope this comes with a spare 8 pin from molex cable otherwise ill have to buy a new PS before hand.
December 4, 2013 10:29:24 AM

What they are going to do with 450 wat of power??? Scary thing to even think about...
The good thing is that there are coming some serious custom versions of 290 series!
Next spring will be interesting! Is Maxwell coming and what the heck 290x can do when cooled down properly!
December 4, 2013 11:38:44 AM

Well, at least now all the people who bought a 1000w power supplies for bragging rights, can get some use of their purchase! Win, win situation!
December 4, 2013 5:11:10 PM

If it behaves in the same way as the old 580 L.E. then it should be good.

Btw, if anyone is upgrading from a 580 L.E., I'm looking for at least two,
preferably three.

Ian.

a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2013 8:02:43 PM

It might just require 2x8 pins, and an extra 6 pin for overclocking, they've done that with previous cards. :) 
December 5, 2013 12:11:12 AM

"Sorry, Santa won't be bringing you your silent R9-290 or R9-290X."
Nooooooooooooooo!!! I sold my GTX670 for 275$CAD 1-2 weeks ago and though the R9 290 would have been ready at least for boxing day! What a shame if it's really for January 2014... (-_-)
December 5, 2013 6:02:35 AM

PanzerIV said:
"Sorry, Santa won't be bringing you your silent R9-290 or R9-290X."
Nooooooooooooooo!!! I sold my GTX670 for 275$CAD 1-2 weeks ago and though the R9 290 would have been ready at least for boxing day! What a shame if it's really for January 2014... (-_-)

I feel your pain, I just built a whole rig.... everything gets here today....I'll be dealing with intel graphics for at least a month v.v COMPLETELY blowing 25$ on rush shipping once it comes out
December 7, 2013 12:44:46 AM

eldragon0 said:

I'm not quite sure you follow how a computer works. Try running your computer without any heatsinks and tell me that it's going to run at room temp. AMD screwed the pooch with their reference. But what do you think they are going to do when we turn 95c into acceptable range for ocing with 450 watts running at 60-70c stock max load with an aftermarket cooler? I think upping the acceptable safe temp to 95c is a wonderful thing, not bad.

Where did I say computers shouldn't need heatsinks? I said that they shouldn't run at 95c even with heatsinks, let alone without them. I thought I was quite clear on that, apparently not...
December 7, 2013 2:14:24 AM

xiinc37 said:
eldragon0 said:

Where did I say computers shouldn't need heatsinks? I said that they shouldn't run at 95c even with heatsinks, let alone without them. I thought I was quite clear on that, apparently not...

My bad :)  I misread your comment. I agree that "Hotter" isn't always better. I feel that ALLOWING up to 95c is wonderful, but needing to utilize that before hitting full clock speeds is not good. Once we get 1ghz on an aftermarket cooler and 60-70c under full load then there will be an overclockers heyday because of the headroom they'll have on the thermal limit.
December 20, 2013 4:34:03 AM

MSI has done a great job in the past with keeping temps down, and clocks high. This should be a record breaking card like the 6870 hawk edition!
December 20, 2013 4:59:54 PM

jmonaco5 said:
MSI has done a great job in the past with keeping temps down, and clocks high. This should be a record breaking card like the 6870 hawk edition!

Indeed! 8) Recently I finally completed obtaining four MSI GTX 580 3GB Lightning Xtreme cards
to have some overclocking fun, break some P55 records among others if I can (950MHz with an
LE is easy); similar looking cooler, same idea, so the MSI 290X should run well, assuming the GPU
has the headroom to match.

Ian.
!