Are 27" IPS/PLS Monitors ready for gaming yet?

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I am wondering if the 5-6 ms rating on many of these monitors is enough for gaming? I currently game on a 24" 1080 1-2 ms ASUS TN panel driven by 2 3gb GTX 780's in SLI. I would like to get away from TN panels to get better color, but unless I'm wrong, it looks like the industry is just not quite there yet. I'm used to very smooth, no lag gaming at high to ultra settings on my 24" 1080 and my concern is that:

1. On a 27" 2560x1440 IPS/PLS panel, the 5-6 ms rating/input lag will be bad.

2. On a 27" 2560x1440 IPS/PLS panel, my two 780's will not be enough to have say all the texture settings to max, which is my main goal. I usually game as just 2x-4x MSAA.

So, are 27" IPS/PLS monitors ready for prime time yet in regards to gaming?

Solution
The pixel response time is exactly that, the pixel response time. It provides no bearing on how much input lag a monitor will have, the lag is introduced by the processing done when a monitor has multiple inputs (i.e. near enough every monitor ever).

If input lag is a big deal import a Qnix/X-Star from Korea, they take input straight to the panel so they have no input lag. They will however (thanks to the 8ms response time) have more motion blur than a TN display like the Asus 120Hz displays, no way of getting around that though. I had a Asus VG278H, moved to a Qnix, tested the two side by side theres no difference what so ever in input lag, but its pretty obvious on other non 120Hz monitors I've had.

Also what makes you think 2x...
The pixel response time is exactly that, the pixel response time. It provides no bearing on how much input lag a monitor will have, the lag is introduced by the processing done when a monitor has multiple inputs (i.e. near enough every monitor ever).

If input lag is a big deal import a Qnix/X-Star from Korea, they take input straight to the panel so they have no input lag. They will however (thanks to the 8ms response time) have more motion blur than a TN display like the Asus 120Hz displays, no way of getting around that though. I had a Asus VG278H, moved to a Qnix, tested the two side by side theres no difference what so ever in input lag, but its pretty obvious on other non 120Hz monitors I've had.

Also what makes you think 2x 780's aren't adequate for 1440p? One is fine, two is more than enough.

Solution

Seaclam

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I'm running an air-cooled Coolermaster HAF-X, so I worry about pushing the cards to 2560x1440 and overheating them with a lot of game settings at max that I'm used to currently on my 1080 24"? I have looked at the ASUS PB278Q 27" 5ms PLS panel and it seems to get good to great reviews.

TRENDING THREADS