Can I put a new discrete graphics card in this system?

zhon890

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I am looking to buy a new computer. I do not want to build one from scratch because I don't trust myself enough to do it properly so I am looking for a prebuilt one, but I cannot seem to find any decently priced models with a discrete graphics card.

My budget is $500 with some flexibility. My computer will be primarily used for gaming, drawing/animating, and maybe some light video editing.

So here is my question...

I was looking at this desktop: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883265700
From what I understand the graphics card on this one is also integrated. Would I be able to install a new discrete graphics card on this machine in the future?

*edit* Advice on a similar PC with discrete graphics would be fine too.

Solution
Yes, it will fit. I you make sure you have the latest amd graphics driver installed, you should be able to turn crossfire on or off by changing one of the options in the graphics driver menu. If you get a much more powerful gpu, there is little point in getting an apu like the a10. you could get a cheaper chip that is cpu only, or if you are buying in the future just get a better cpu as well. While that relatively tiny hd6670 should fit pretty easily into that lenovo chassis, a more powerful graphics card would likely be several inches longer and have trouble fitting.

jtenorj

Distinguished
The integrated gpu in that pc is already halfway decent(hd6670 level). The only thing holding it back is the ram(comparably low speed). You could actually add a hd6670(or similar level gpu) and crossfire it with the integrated gpu for better performance. just a thought.

zhon890

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

I read about that somewhere, not quite sure how to do it but it didn't seem like it was terribly difficult. The reason I want a dedicated gpu is so I can play games like Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 - or else I would just stick with the integrated AMD already in it.

Is this the card you mentioned: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CMqozu66mbsCFSbNOgoddWIAOQ&Item=N82E16814102992&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Desktop+Graphics+Cards-_-N82E16814102992&ef_id=UpI82wAAAMpzkX3i:20131205160405:s

? Will that fit in and be compatible? I'm not sure how to verify that the graphics card is compatible with the mobo and whatnot. And is that a good solution? Or could you link me to a better card? My budget for a new graphics card is pretty much limitless as I will be buying it in the future.

jtenorj

Distinguished
Yes, it will fit. I you make sure you have the latest amd graphics driver installed, you should be able to turn crossfire on or off by changing one of the options in the graphics driver menu. If you get a much more powerful gpu, there is little point in getting an apu like the a10. you could get a cheaper chip that is cpu only, or if you are buying in the future just get a better cpu as well. While that relatively tiny hd6670 should fit pretty easily into that lenovo chassis, a more powerful graphics card would likely be several inches longer and have trouble fitting.

Solution