AMD A10 5800K Stock Cooler Questions

MinecraftPiGuy

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Hi, just a quick question:
I'm looking into a new build, and I'm thinking about using AMD's A10 5800K APU. I'm just wondering, will the stock cooler keep the APU at a safe temperature when running games like Skyrim, Minecraft, and Far-Cry 3 at 780p with low settings? If you want to know my build specs, say so in your reply.

The stock cooler is sufficient, but it can get loud/whiny.

If you want something extra to ensure better cooling, and is also quiet, go ahead and spend a little extra to invest in either a Xigmatek Gaia, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (or EVO), or an Enermax ETS-T40-TB.

NormH

Distinguished

+1 i usually dont even notice mine due to game sound lol

Honestly, I'm a big advocate of aftermarket cooling, if only for the better acoustics. A lot of other people have issues recommending to spend an extra $30 without the intent to overclock - more so on an low-budget rig where $30 represents a lot more money from the budget.

for a cheap solution till you upgrade grab a mx4 thermal paste and remove the stock paste its much better. should drop temps down by 5c at the very least.

also get a fm2 plus motherboard a88x this will allow for kaveri to be installed later personally i wouldnt get a a10 5800k and get a cheap fm2 chip if you can wait round january 2014 for the new kaveri to come out as kaveri will wipe the floor with a10 5800k

MinecraftPiGuy

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for your insight, beyondlogic, I will definitely get that fm2+ mobo and the mx4 paste. One more question, though: does 5c temp drop really make a difference? This is my first build, I'm not too CPU savvy.

MinecraftPiGuy

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
Thanks for your insight, beyondlogic, I will definitely get that fm2+ mobo and the mx4 paste. One more question, though: does 5c temp drop really make a difference? This is my first build, I'm not too CPU savvy.

5C both is and isn't a lot. If you have a heatsink with a fan on it, adding a second fan generally nets you an addition an addition 2-3C. The difference between most thermal compounds is usually within 5C; quality ones are less than 2. Adding a single fan to a case with no fans can decrease the CPU temperature 10-15C, but each additional fan might only decrease it by 1-3C, with increasing diminishing returns.

With CPU usually running between 25-50C, all these little additions add up. 5C is a lot, relatively speaking, and will certainly help with stock cooling. It's not the end-all-be-all that will make-or-break a rig, though.

like someone already stated 5c isnt alot but it can be the diffrence from melting your chip or staying under the recomended temperature and mx4 is best paste around also for future upgrading of pc case

aercool shark 120mm
or spectre pro fans 120mm
or budget fans sickleflow coolermaster ( noisy so get some rubber mounts to dampen them)
most cases have a fan slots if you have a few check the size of current fans installed and replace them this alone can knock down another 5c off and keeps the rest of your other components cool.

finally if your looking for a decent case zalman has released a new mini tower also its cheap with a few fans mentioned above installed with led it make it look good and keep temps low.
rear fan stock should be fine.

http://www.zalman.com/global/product/Product_Read.php?Idx=835

like someone stated this all adds up.

recomend this cpu cooler 5 heatpipes will fit that case use mx4 paste though on this cooler instead of its horrible stock paste also spectre pro fan 140mm ( comes in several colours) would at full power will make this cooler better if you should choose so

GeminII S524 cooler
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=3050&product_name=GeminII%20S524

MinecraftPiGuy

Honorable
Dec 2, 2013
The case i'm using is an NZXT source 210, which only comes with one 140mm fan, but i'm adding two more NZXT brand 140mm fans. Also the fans got 5 star reviews.

should be fine but i would suggest getting akasa noise reduction kit and there rubber fan mounts due to it will drop the noise of the fan vibrating against the case