Video card solution for 3 monitor setup with no DisplayPorts and no Eyefinity / 3D Vision (maybe)?

parkiner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hi all,

I'm looking to expand my current rig (mobo: Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4P, gfx: XFX HD 5770, ps: 750W, os: Win7 64bit) from a dual monitor setup to a three monitor setup. I'd prefer to spend <$200.

I have three different 1080p monitors, each of which can do DVI or HDMI, but not DisplayPort. For three monitors on my current HD 5770, it seems that my options are limited to buying an active DisplayPort to HDMI/DVI adapter, which I would prefer not to do / think it sounds like a kluge.

I would like to have a distinct workspace on each monitor (i.e. an "Extend This Display" configuration to use the Windows wording) so that I could do something like a browser on the left, a game on the center, and Netflix on the right. Therefore, I don't think Eyefinity or 3D Vision are appropriate for me (but perhaps I am wrong?).

Is there a simple solution to available? I have a PCIe x16 slot available, so could I maybe just buy a cheaper card like a 6670 and use it in addition to my 5770? Or would I better off to buy something newer that would, on its own, support the 3-distinct-monitors-with-no-displayport-setup (I'm not sure if cards like the R9 270 or GTX 760 can do this)?

Thanks for any advice!

Solution
Ahh, shame. In that case, any modern nvidia card, at least, should be able to support three monitors through two dvi or hdmi and one of the other.
I know a 670 or 760 will do it easily (doing it right now on a 670), but I believe that any card from a 650 up will as well... but check me on that and check the card to make sure that it has enough ports.

parkiner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Unfortunately, I already have the third monitor. Scrapped an old work computer.

Ahh, shame. In that case, any modern nvidia card, at least, should be able to support three monitors through two dvi or hdmi and one of the other.
I know a 670 or 760 will do it easily (doing it right now on a 670), but I believe that any card from a 650 up will as well... but check me on that and check the card to make sure that it has enough ports.

Solution

parkiner

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Thanks for the info, let me know what you find out!

TRENDING THREADS