Getting started in IT

Pizzarolla

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
Hi, my name is John. I'm 26 years old, soon to be 27. I'm a high school graduate, with no additional certifications of degrees, nor any sort of higher education.

Ever since getting out of high school, I've been working in entry level jobs that have nothing to offer besides a barely adequate paycheck. I've worked in retail for places like Wal-Mart and Target, and I've done food service as well.

I've been bouncing from job to job because I can't find anything I actually like. I'm good at all of it, I'm self motivated, and I take pride in my work, but I can't seem to last more than a year in any of these places because I know I'm just going to waste.

I didn't go to college after high school because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I've always been fascinated with anything tech related, and computers in particular. However, I didn't want to get into the IT field at first because I had very little confidence in my own abilities. When it comes to IT, my knowledge is very helter skelter. I've only been learning on a need to know basis. When something screws up, I teach myself how to fix it, and when I want to do something more, I teach myself how to do it.

This is how I've been expanding my knowledge of computers for over 20 years. I enjoy fixing technology, so I've been doing things like pc tuneups and malware removals, troubleshooting software and hardware issues, and doing pc upgrades for friends and family for years.

About a year ago, I got a job at a technical support help desk and thought I had finally found my 'in' to the tech world. I was wrong. Sit at a desk and answer calls from people that don't know what a web browser is, or where to find their address bar. It was child's play. Furthermore, our scope of support kept us in check on everything we did. I could have been much more useful to my customers, truly going above and beyond, but we were kept on a short leash by management. So once again, I found myself wasting away in a job that was flushing my potential down the drain.

My real passion lies in full desktop and network support. I want to do something like managing the entire network of a large office building or a hospital. I want to setup their infrastructure, their networking devices, and I want to maintain their equipment. I have the field experience that most of these places require, though my only real references are friends and family.

I find that my biggest hurdle is my lack of formal training and credentials, and I really need some advice and suggestions on where to start, so that I can finally get into a career field that I have a passion for.

TL;DR: Please give me some suggestions on how to get started as a network administrator.

Solution
Do you want to study full time or part time?

CCNA for the network side of things then some cert in MS Server... Anyone with any knowledge on this care to chip in.

I suppose it depends on what qualifications companies are looking for for entry network admins.

anti-painkilla

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Do you want to study full time or part time?

CCNA for the network side of things then some cert in MS Server... Anyone with any knowledge on this care to chip in.

I suppose it depends on what qualifications companies are looking for for entry network admins.

Solution

Stew1972

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I'm sort of in the same boat with Pizzarolla. I spent 21 yrs in the Navy as an Electronics Technician and in doing so, I worked on computers in a limited capacity. I never worked on any certs while on active duty but after I retired I decided I wanted to go the computer route vice electronics. I'm currently working on my A+ certification because I thought that was the foundation and I'm working on a BS in Management Information Systems. I guess the CISCO certs are next, right?