PC Gaming Audio and Sound Cards

What sound card to use with AD700x headphones?

• SupremeFX - None! Save your money you won't be able to tell the difference.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xonar Essence STX

• Xonar Phoebus

• Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

PhearsomePhobia

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
So I'm going for a new build and need some help with the audio part. I currently use A40's with a mix-amp and know things can get better. I have narrowed the field down a bit and need that final push to help me out. This is mostly for gaming so positional audio is key for me. I play Battlefield 4 mostly.

I am looking at the AD700x's for my headphones but if you know of any that are below $200 that have a better sound stage then please do tell. I know that the AD700x's have crap bass but with an EQ I can tweak it.

Now for the part that I can't pull the trigger on, the sound card. I have the Asus Maximus VI Hero motherboard and have heard that it has a great sound solution on it(SupremeFX). Is that true? Is it worth it to upgrade to a $150 - $200 sound card or can I get good results from the on board sound that Asus makes. If I can save the money that would be great but I also want good positional audio for my games.

If I do get a sound card it would be between the Phoebus or the Essence STX and I can't choose between them. I heard the Titanium HD is good but that is has bad driver problems, is this true?

I currently have a beast Logitech 2.1 speaker set for my music and when I game I use headphones to keep the wife happy. I know the STX is better for headphones but people keep telling me to get the Phoebus and it's confusing me. I also hear that people say Dolby digital surround is crap for good headphones but my A40's sound better with it on, please elaborate if you can.

Just a note, the AD700x's are for gaming only as I have a different set for music at night.

PhearsomePhobia

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

OK, But why? What does it do that my SupremeFX won't? Doesn't look like much of an upgrade to me.
Thanks for your post though!

The SupremeFX is OK; better then onboard at least...

I have the ATH-m50's (basically, the ATH-AD700 with bass) paired with a Xense, and theres a difference compared to onboard. But I can't imagine the difference between the SupremeFX and another high tier soundcard would be significantly different...