• EVGA GTX 650 Ti boost Superclocked

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Powercolor Radeon HD 7850

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

Tenvis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
So yea, Im thinking of getting either Powercolor Radeon HD 7850 or the EVGA GTX 650 Ti Boost Superclocked. What's best?

Specs:
i3 - 3210
Asrock B75M - DGS R2.0
Zalman 500GT 500w
Corsair XMS3 4gb 1333

Thanks in advance

the 650ti would be slightly faster overall, but not noticeably. Also keep in mind game bundles, the 7850 should come with a game coupon for 2 free games out of a choice of 5 i think (amd never settle bundle). not sure if the 650ti comes with any>?

If they cost the same or you're ignoring cost, the 650 Ti Boost SC is better.

edit: I'm assuming both cards have the same amount of vram. If they don't, then the card with more vram is the better choice.

Tenvis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
The 7850 costs 195$ while the 650 Ti Boost SC costs 196$ (Very interesting... -_- ) Well, I'm planning on doing SLI / Crossfire. I've heard that AMD sucks at Crossfire ( Micro stuttering? ) And, Well, Nvidia is owning AMD on SLI's. What's better?

yes absolutely sli is better. has better game support and much less problems with stuttering and frame synchronization between cards.

sartorius

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010

... Where exactly are you buying from? Those prices sound kinda ridiculous for those cards nowadays.

Anyway, if it's a 1GB 650 TI, then the 7850 will be a better choice thanks to the larger frame buffer. The 2GB version usually on par with the 7850, and at other times is a little bit faster or slower, though it really depends on the game itself.

Also, AMD's been kicking microstutter in the balls with their more recent drivers from what I've seen. Some games still have their issues, but that can be said with both companies.

And rather than do a multi GPU setup with weaker cards, why not just get one faster card? The price of two of those cards could instead net you a really nice GTX 770, and a bit more would net you an R9 290 (at least it would if they were still in stock...).

Tenvis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Hahaha talk about prices here. :) Well, Would you guys recommend going on AMD or Nvidia? I mean, I like Nvidia (But not the prices) and I have doubts about the AMD (Prices, No doubts, I'm in.) I'm going to have a budget of.. 150$, Give me a good Card :)

microstutter has been mostly resolved for dx11 titles on single displays, but some games that "support" crossfire still don't work as they should, often giving worse performance than a single card, where as the same games work fine on an sli setup. For dx9 its still no fix, and most games out are dx9 games. im sure they will get there, but they are way late to the game. and i agree with the 2gb over 1gb argument and the getting better single card vs dual card, but i think its more that he wants it for future upgrade. I have used both crossfire and sli recently, sli was far superior, but not without it's faults, i prefer a faster single card and probably wont ever go back to a dual card setup. side-by-side a single card just feels smoother to an equivelant dual card setup.

Tenvis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013

I see.. But my aim was to upgrade when I get a good budget. Should I get a quite good Single card then sell it and buy a better Single card? Like.. Get the 650 ti boost sc > sell > get 780?

Perhaps wait a bit or save up more, because I just did a check and there are a number of 7850 2gb but they are all sold out.
Couldn't find any 650 Ti Boost 2gb for under $150.

If you can sell your card to get a better upgrade, that's good. But if you're going to buy a card just to resell it, might as well set up a business.

Tenvis

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013

I see.. Well, I guess I'll just get the 650 ti boost SC because I'm not that hardcore gamer or such. I mostly play DX9 games so.. I'll try to avoid getting AMD.