Asus ROG Poseidon Graphics Card Seen in Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe this will convince Tom's to incorporate some H20 into their reviews and benchmarks. I'd love to a version of this cooler on a 290(X) in a shoot-out as well. Asus, get busy on the Ti version.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Yeah, so their ROG 760 outperforms a Titan, I would imagine this will outperform a Ti.

Having dual cooling solutions on the card should be an available choice from all makers.

This is still going to use a custom loop, it just has a integrated water block. I think it could cool a bit better since the heatsink will pull some heat away and the fans will push the air away from it meaning the water going back to the radiator wont be as hot.

They made one with a closed loop system a while back but I never looked at reviews for it.

sure, I get that... but if they're not willing/able to switch the cooler onto the new card quickly, it only hurts business imo... keep in mind this is more or less a 'leak', the card won't come out for another month or more. by the time this thing hits the market, Nvidia will be leaking info on Maxwell (presumably). which will probably cost the same or less than the ROG poseidon...

now I don't know about others, but I would not pay top dollar when a cheaper card has 50% more performance (top-end maxwell)

arossetti

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
Why is it that they always seem to wait until the end of a product cycle to release something like this? Two or three more months and Maxwell will be released and the 700 series will be irrelevant. Come on Asus drop a spec like this at the beginning.

This was shown at Comdex back in June..... the target audience would be those struggling to move up and trying to decide between a 780 level card or a 760 / 770 and water cooling. This allows ya to buy a Maximus VI Formula and 780 and run on air, and then when money is available, put both the MoBo and GFC on a full loop.

It kinda sux having to buy a $520 card and then throw away a $80 - 100 air cooler and replace it with a $140 WB / Backplate combo.

I have my 780s overclocked 32% on EK WB's and Backplates .... they were running at about 40C with my original fan profile.... I slowed the fans down and now running at about 44C

I really wish we could by waterblocked cards other than the EVGA Classified version which charges out the nose. Just got an Asus GTX 770 and I can get a waterblock on it for $115, bringing the cost up to $465. Stupidly, the EVGA Hydro version is $620. Doesn't make sense. I bet this Poseidon is going to be stupidly expensive too, even though there's no way it cools as well on air alone as their Direct CU II nor will it cool as well as a purpose built water block.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
With performance gains no longer scaling well with process node shrinks, I think that we're going to see a transition to high end discrete GPUs coming with factory waterblocks. This and the EVGA Classified are still 'boutique' products - and are/will be priced as such. I am predicting that for the next-gen flagship-level cards (please maufacturers, don't make us beg) *somebody* will finally offer a 'stock' waterblock option that will sell enough units to reduce the price premium to $50 or less over an all-air cooler. Given that Nvidia is selling thousands of units to the supercomputer space, that's where I'm guessing that we'll see it come from first (along with a watercooled supercomputer). Although the noise profile of the 290s argues fairly persuasively that AMD should also do this as a pre-emptive strike for their next-gen.

LeMonarque

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013
I don't like the way they oriented those G1/4 threads. The card without the threads would be as tall as the regular DirectCU II, which is already a tall card. Both cards are taller than an expansion slot, but now the Poseidon has those threads to add to the height.

Wouldn't be a problem if they were 90-degrees up and down, but sideways like that it's going to force 90% of people to buy angled fittings instead of straight fittings because most people don't have cases wide enough for the tubing curve that sideways straight fittings creates.

You are aware of the history of ROG branded graphics cards right? we'll be lucky for this thing to price under $1000

Like others pointed out, I did some "measurin" and it looks like once you add the tubing, it'll stick out farther toward the side panel than the noctua nh-d14. I suspect it wouldn't fit in a lot of cases, and to be on the safe side, you'd want one that supports a 140mm exhaust fan. If the side panel has fans, you could expect to have to scrap those too. To get the most out of this, I hope they plan to make SLI links of some sort available too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS