Is 2GB enough for a single monitor at 2560x1440 resolution?

C_Swagger

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013
I'm thinking about chucking a pair of MSI Twin Frozr GTX 770 2GB cards in my new gaming rig but was wondering if 2GB is enough to max out AAA games at 2560x1440 (single screen)? Should I be looking at the 4GB edition instead? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Solution
Im sure you already know this but weather your crossfiring 2 cards or not the Memory does not stack. As for your actual question 2 gb of ram will not be enough to get a decent framerate. I'd say about 3gb minimum. You should probably go for the 4gb edition just so that you can get above 60 fps. Also I think a single card with 4gb would be fine in itself and you would save some money as well because that 4gb edition is expensive!

SlaKer440

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
Im sure you already know this but weather your crossfiring 2 cards or not the Memory does not stack. As for your actual question 2 gb of ram will not be enough to get a decent framerate. I'd say about 3gb minimum. You should probably go for the 4gb edition just so that you can get above 60 fps. Also I think a single card with 4gb would be fine in itself and you would save some money as well because that 4gb edition is expensive!

Solution

C_Swagger

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Thanks for your answer. Yes I know it won't stack. But do you think I can nail down 60 frames consistently in AAA games at 1440p with a single 770? I didn't think it was powerful enough which is why I was thinking SLI. What do you think?

C_Swagger

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

I will probably go with the 4GB then. Thanks for the input.

SlaKer440

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013

Yeh you'll be able to hold down 60fps with a single card. If you SLI you might experience maybe a few extra frames but due to the memory not stacking you would not experience FPS gain that would justifie the second card at that resolution. A single card should handel it well.

C_Swagger

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Oh wow, great chart. Thanks for this. I'm pretty sure the 780 maxes out at 3GB, would that work going forward at my resolution? I'm mainly looking forward to future games like Star Citizen, Watchdogs, and Cyberpunk 2077...among others. I guess what I'm asking is what matters more? A 780 is more powerful/faster than a 770, but does the fact that it has 1GB less in physical memory mean that it wont last as long at my resolution than the less powerful 770 due to the increasing ram requirements of games going forward? I hope that made sense....lol

Sorry, I'm a bit noobish when it comes to how all the technology works, I just know how to build.

chugot9218

Honorable
I look at it this way, because VRAM does not stack, you will never be able to upgrade your VRAM without going to completely new cards. However, if you are limited by the actual performance of the card, independent of VRAM, you can SLI another card to improve performance.

C_Swagger

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

Hmm....so then if you were in my position you would consider going with the 4GB 770 over the 3GB 780, and then just add another when you needed a performance upgrade down the line while keeping your relatively high VRAM? Makes sense, if I'm interpreting you correctly, plus $500 is a little steep for a single card in my opinion anyway so I probably won't go the 780 route.

chugot9218

Honorable
Yes that is what I mean, basically whatever you get for VRAM is what your at unless you upgrade to a card with more, you can add more performance to your card with another of the same model, but you cannot improve the VRAM by adding another card, I have two 2gb 670's and at some point if I need more VRAM I will need to sell them and upgrade to the 4gb models, if I need more performance and am not running out of VRAM, I can just SLI in another 2gb 670 (although there are caveats to this approach, cooling, microstuttering, etc..).

C_Swagger

Honorable
Aug 22, 2013

This is logical.....thank you my friend.....you've been a big help.