Wont boot from USB

ivtec

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hi guys i have an ubuntu 12.04 iso on an USB scan disk,dispite a change the boot order it wont boot from the USB stick

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

laptop? desktop? Manufacturer? Model?
when you changed boot order did it list your USB specifically or did you just choose from USB?
Some computers list live usbs under hard drive order so you may want to see if it shows up there.
More details please.

ivtec

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

Thanks quotemsg: Desktop Dell 4500 Pentium4 2.00ghz 1gb ram.
When i boot i change the boot order to Removal device but it wont see the Scandisk stick when booting, but it see it when full running. from Cd?dvd it's ok

ivtec

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

thanks: nothing wrong with the Iso i use it on my other PC Lenovo all the time, i change the boot order but it goes right to Xubuntu Desktop and ignores the USB, although i see the stick blinking light , with CD is ok.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012

I would suspect this. See if your USB stick is listed as a HDD.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
What we are saying is to go to the BIOS boot order and see if under hard drives there are two listed or perhaps a plus sign you need to click on to show additional drives. If your UsB is there change the boot order of the hard drives and promote your USB.

Edir

Honorable
Oct 6, 2013
A simple way I solve boot order problems:
Go into BIOS, boot order. Put any network related items either disabled or least priority. Then locate the main hard drive (the one with xubuntu on it) and place it above the network items. Then place everything else above, with CD/DVD drive at top.

I find this fixes most boot order problems. You could also try enabling one device at a time and find the USB one. (Be sure to put it back afterwards!)

Does this help?