Monitor says: "No signal" [Brand New Computer]

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013
I decided to build my newest PC and as this was my first time I was super anxious to get home from work to put it together. I watched Newegg's tutorial on how to build a PC and read all of the manuals that came with my parts and started work.

I skipped the part in the tutorial about assembling the main components outside of the tower first and then booting it up to test if everything works, unfortunately.

First, I put in the power supply and arranged the cords away from the main area to maintain vision. I then assembled the CPU and heatsink fan onto the mobo, installed the RAM, and then screwed the mobo into the case. From there I put in the OD and HDD and put in the front panel's cords into the mobo. Then I put in the video card and the rest of the power cords to the rest of the components. Finally I plugged in the PSU and plugged the monitor into the video card's white DVI port. When I did that my monitor had a message that appeared for 1 second that said: "No signal" then went to sleep mode. I didn't really think anything of it as it didn't seem too much to worry about at the time. I then turned the computer on and waited about 30 seconds and the monitor was still asleep. Now in Newegg's tutorial the host didn't need to use a mouse to have his monitor turn on. I did so anyway just to see if it would work and sadly it didn't.

I've tried plugging my monitors cable into the mobo's VGA output as well but got the same response. FYI I'm using the VGA to DVI converter that came with the video card.

SPECS:
SilverStone PS08B Tower Case
AMD FX-6300 Vishera 3.5GHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz edition 2GB
AsRock 960GM/U3S3 FX Motherboard
SeaGate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB 3.5in HDD
1 x GSkill Ares Series 8GB (2x4GB)
EVGA 600W 80 PLUS BRONZE

Acer LCD Monitor (Model #:X163W)

Solution
When trouble shooting you want to eliminate as many possibilities as possible.
You've tested the monitor on another source and it works, you tried both video card and integrated video separately and got no display.
If you have the video card removed and are trying to boot and you can't even get the bios screen to display the something is preventing the boot process or the motherboard is not allowing video at all.

You have two sticks of ram try booting with one and then the other. As I said you do want to eliminate as many components as possible.

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

The moniter is about 4 years old but only has been used for about 6 months (Finally got around to using it) I can't access the onscreen menu because you can't open it in sleep mode. I just tried rebooting the monitor before starting the PC and it didn't help. The PC sounds fine, but I dont have a speaker so I'm not able to hear the post beep.

Having another monitor or small TV would help to determine if it's a monitor problem or a motherboard problem. You have the Pci-e power cables connected to the video card? Two 6 pin power cables are required.

If still having issues take the video card out and just try using the integrated video.

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

I doubt it's the monitor or the cable's fault as it works perfectly fine with my laptop. So it must be the mobo. And yes, I do have both PCI-Express cables connected. Could my GPU be DOA as well? I've read a couple of other threads that are related to my problem and some of the replies claim the card is DOA or there is something wrong with the RAM.

That's why I had suggested to remove the card and see if the integrated video works because once you put a video card in the first slot it will disable the integrated even though the card may not work. I also asked it you felt that the Pc was booting since that would indicate that the ram is ok.
Ultimately you may have a DOA video card but you can do some trouble shooting to narrow it down and that's what I've been suggesting.

rlives

Honorable
Jun 26, 2013

Sorry if it seems like I'm dismissing your suggestions.

I removed the video card, rebooted the monitor and turned the computer on with the same results. Does this mean my motherboard is shot?

When trouble shooting you want to eliminate as many possibilities as possible.
You've tested the monitor on another source and it works, you tried both video card and integrated video separately and got no display.
If you have the video card removed and are trying to boot and you can't even get the bios screen to display the something is preventing the boot process or the motherboard is not allowing video at all.

You have two sticks of ram try booting with one and then the other. As I said you do want to eliminate as many components as possible.

Solution