Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Tom's Hardware Holiday Gift Guide 2013

Last response: in Photo reports comments
December 5, 2013 9:11:52 PM

Honey, I got us some new stuff for Christmas ;)  Great :D  what did you buy? All of this (...) How much did you spend? Couple ten thousand dollars... ?!??!!
Score
December 5, 2013 9:23:29 PM

Didn't look at the items...no models showcasing them.
Score
Related resources
December 5, 2013 9:40:21 PM

I miss the models.. Nothing like seeing wonderful products held by beautiful women.
Score
December 5, 2013 9:44:23 PM

Where was that beautiful girl?? I was looking forward for that!
Score
December 5, 2013 9:53:37 PM

and so it begins

where are the girls?
Score
December 5, 2013 9:54:33 PM

Nuclear101 said:
Honey, I got us some new stuff for Christmas ;)  Great :D  what did you buy? All of this (...) How much did you spend? Couple ten thousand dollars... ?!??!!

more like "Honey I bought all this stuff, and the store says all these girls came with the stuff free of charge. can we keep them please :D "
Score
December 5, 2013 11:39:27 PM

Personally, I'm glad they've ditched the cheesy "pervy boys" direction of the models this year.
Want to look at beautiful women? Go for it. No need to sexualise every random thing though.
Score
December 6, 2013 3:39:32 AM

These gift ideas are pretty bad. Next time get someone who doesn't have huge amounts of disposable income do the gift ideas.
Score
December 6, 2013 4:58:09 AM

Neils, Do you include a fire extinguisher with the Tesla? It's not just an electric car it is a friggin fire hazard, and a joke as a product. Yeah, build a vehicle that has more detrimental impact on the environment than any internal combustion vehicle and sell it as "Green." The rare earths and heavy metals used to make the battery, not to mention the 7 year life of the battery (after which you have to spend another $30K-$50K to replace it), along with the coal fired electric needed to recharge makes electric vehicles anywhere from 4X to 10X dirtier than the dirtiest diesel.

I guess, if you can afford it, you can conspicuously consume a symbol of environmentalism that costs more than the middle class home. Just like Al Gore jetting all around the world while asking that others relegate themselves to bicycles.
Score
December 6, 2013 5:53:35 AM

No models this year? Just sad. Tom's may have appealed to a minority of the people on their high horses with their morals and what not who complain about the objectification of females (yet continue to look at the photos as they complain) on Tom's after they put down their swimsuit edition of SI and just finished "reading" their Maxim or other special publication that shows up in the mailbox in a discrete envelope, but fewer people will look at the list of items this year and fewer will return to look at the 2013 gift guide.

Sex sells. This is a known fact. You do these products and their sales numbers a disservice by leaving the Tom's models out.

Nothing will beat the 2012 gift guide if hunks of plastic and metal are all we have to look at for 2013. This is truly a sad day. Tom's I plead with you to add the models back to the gift guide.
Score
December 6, 2013 6:19:52 AM

Hay, I just turned 60, but I still like to objectify women. It's good for the heart.
Score
December 6, 2013 6:24:42 AM

LaughALot said:
Hay, I just turned 60, but I still like to objectify women. It's good for the heart.

That's what I'm talking about!

It's a solid marketing tactic. You appeal to basal instincts to grab and maintain an attention level. People are sexual by nature and there's nothing wrong with it.
Score
December 6, 2013 8:30:58 AM

So the models will be showcased in part 2?
Score
December 6, 2013 8:38:11 AM

3000 dollar monitor, 300 dollar fryer, a [removed] car.

Fritz Nelson apparently thinks IT techs make 200k/yr

Watch the language. - G
Score
December 6, 2013 9:18:59 AM

My dogs would seriously freak the ---- out if I bought that quad helicopter. :lol: 
Score
December 6, 2013 9:50:20 AM

It seems I'm not the only one who expected beautiful models posing with incredible gadgetry...
Score
December 6, 2013 10:37:28 AM

Nice ad placement. Had me completely fooled....

Gyro Phantom Helicopter: $24.99

And I thought - "Hey, I need to look at this gift guide for more ideas for the kids." Haha - joke is on me. The $24.99 Gyro Helicopter at Kohls is not quite the Black Sheep Discovery Quad Copter for $3000.

Nice toys, but not a very practical gift guide IMO. I would think you guys could come up with more practical ideas that fit into more practical budgets - like Crash's - that was perfect.

Also, timing BEFORE Black Friday would be nice!
Score
December 6, 2013 10:46:19 AM

RazberyBandit said:
It seems I'm not the only one who expected beautiful models posing with incredible gadgetry...

Yeah where's the fail horn? :lol: 
Score
December 6, 2013 11:44:37 AM

Let's see what we should need:
1) Good Looking Gal(s) to keep interest (simple thought I know, but expected on these each year)
2) Technology that most can afford
3) Computer parts that are <$500
Score
December 6, 2013 11:59:36 AM

Thanks for ditching the models. They're completely unnecessary. No moral or sexist reason, but I'd rather have the article focus on the item, not the skin.
Score
December 6, 2013 12:03:51 PM

RedJaron said:
Thanks for ditching the models. They're completely unnecessary. No moral or sexist reason, but I'd rather have the article focus on the item, not the skin.

but that's basically every other article on Tom's, for the entire year

not to be sexist or pervy either, but it's rather something I've just gotten used to... it's like boothbabes at tech shows, it doesn't feel the same without them
Score
December 6, 2013 12:17:10 PM

vmem said:
but that's basically every other article on Tom's, for the entire year

not to be sexist or pervy either, but it's rather something I've just gotten used to... it's like boothbabes at tech shows, it doesn't feel the same without them

If it works every other day, why shake it up?

And I'm one of the weird men that think booth babes are also completely unnecessary. If your product is good, it will stand on its own and doesn't need the flesh flash to sell it. If you're going to have attractive women dress up as your game characters, fine, but please make sure they have a clue about what they're advertising ( no more GoW models holding the lancer by the chainsaw bayonet. )
Score
December 6, 2013 12:34:17 PM

Last year Tom's gift to me was the hot models in their article, this year....
Score
December 6, 2013 1:03:10 PM

nothing like TH giving us a list of crap from companies that paid to be on the list. Thanks so much.
Score
December 6, 2013 1:06:44 PM

RedJaron said:
If it works every other day, why shake it up?

And I'm one of the weird men that think booth babes are also completely unnecessary. If your product is good, it will stand on its own and doesn't need the flesh flash to sell it. If you're going to have attractive women dress up as your game characters, fine, but please make sure they have a clue about what they're advertising ( no more GoW models holding the lancer by the chainsaw bayonet. )

Haha, I get your point and honestly I can agree.

and honestly I've never bought a product (or thought about it favorably) because of booth babes. it's always been based on product quality, the company's tech support, and price.

but I think this applies both to these holiday gift ideas (which honestly I prefer the model holding an i7 chip over the burning Tesla S as a 'gift idea') and the tech shows: if you're PHYSICALLY going to be there, i'm all for it. talk to reps from various companies, get a little hands on few on products that will hit the market in the future, and overall learn and enjoy yourself.
but for those on the web, all we're looking at is pictures, and I am not advocating for models specifically, but I don't see harm in having a little fun in taking the pictures for these special occasions. we've all seen pictures of most of these products before, and well, seeing the same pictures again would be 'meh'
Score
December 6, 2013 1:55:45 PM

Crap... no hotties.
Lame!
Score
December 6, 2013 2:24:22 PM

2560x1600? should be 2560x1440 right? I can't even find a x1600 LCD by asus
Score
December 6, 2013 2:24:41 PM

2560x1600? should be 2560x1440 right? I can't even find a x1600 LCD by asus
Score
December 6, 2013 2:28:55 PM

Where are the models this year?
Score
December 6, 2013 4:17:41 PM

Games are always nice Christmas presents. I'm surprised none were listed.
Score
December 6, 2013 7:35:38 PM

You guys need to get Kala Von Lane to model again.. Soooo hot!
Score
December 6, 2013 9:41:40 PM

I have zero interest in anything on that list.
Score
December 7, 2013 8:27:33 AM

Most of this stuff is super expensive.
Score
December 7, 2013 4:31:53 PM

That discovery quad copter is an overpriced piece of trash, but have fun.

Anyone who actually knows what they are doing will build their own (think of it like buying a Dell for a gaming machine)
Score
December 8, 2013 12:02:38 PM

"Neils, Do you include a fire extinguisher with the Tesla? It's not just an electric car it is a friggin fire hazard, and a joke as a product. Yeah, build a vehicle that has more detrimental impact on the environment than any internal combustion vehicle and sell it as "Green." The rare earths and heavy metals used to make the battery, not to mention the 7 year life of the battery (after which you have to spend another $30K-$50K to replace it), along with the coal fired electric needed to recharge makes electric vehicles anywhere from 4X to 10X dirtier than the dirtiest diesel.

I guess, if you can afford it, you can conspicuously consume a symbol of environmentalism that costs more than the middle class home. Just like Al Gore jetting all around the world while asking that others relegate themselves to bicycles."

Fire hazard? No more then any of the millions of moving gasoline bombs on the road now. There are ~300,000 vehicle fires a year in the US. I'm not to worried about the 2 or 3 tesla fires so far, all a result of crashes, none of those fires entering the passenger area.

As far as environmental impact. This was true of the first gen pirus, that was a joke of a car. But this is NOT true of the tesla. Gasoline engines are a heat engine, the theoretical maximum efficiency of any heat engine regardless of design is under 40%. Car engines typically have a real world efficiency somewhere around 15-18% or so. Electric engines are typically >90% efficiency. Not to mention the efficiency savings you get when you are using no power at a stop sign/signal, or going downhill you actually put power back into the battery, where as you waste it all in braking with a piston car. Power generation is a concern, but the situation is many times better then you make it out to be. Power plants typically use turbines that operate somewhere in the 58% ish efficiency range. You couple that with say 4% transmission losses, say another 4% for charging the battery, and lets use 92% for electric engine efficiency and you end up at ~49% overall efficiency, compared to...lets use a good case for piston engines of 18%, that's nearly 3 times as efficient. And i didnt take any distribution losses, or refinement losses, etc into account for gasoline either, while i did for electric, so that number is higher.

You want to complain about all that power....that whole 1/3 as much as a gas/disel car coming from coal.....but that's not the reality. On the west coast, almost no coal is used. On the east coast sure they use coal, but overall its ~40% coal accross the us. But, whats easier....replacing 300,000,000 cars or replacing 10,000 power plants with cleaner technology when it becomes economically feasible. Soon as a new power tech gos online in a power plant all the electric cars on the road benefit instantly with no replacement cost. If you use them on the west coast, its mostly hydro, nuclear, natural gas, not coal. Using 1/3 the energy with those power generation types, is a MASSIVE improvement for the environment over gas/disel.
Score
December 8, 2013 10:34:55 PM

*Disclaimer: Do not wear the Oculus Rift while standing on a mountain peak. You will inevitably fall to your death, wallowing in shame. Your tombstone will read, "Here lies ____, Darwin awaits."
Score
December 9, 2013 9:42:59 AM

This article should be titled "Tom's Hardware FANTASY Holiday Gift Guide". How many of your readers do you think have a multi-millionaire relative willing to give them a high end car as a gift? Even the 4K flat-panel screen is way beyond most at a "mere" $4,500.

I don't mind the lack of showcase models but please make a separate gift guide article for those of us that don't light cigars with c-notes!
Score
December 10, 2013 4:59:30 PM

Dear Santa, I would like to have an Oculus rift with Tori Black and Sasha Grey program on it... ;) 
Score
December 13, 2013 3:26:29 AM

Tom's I have serious question here...

Where are the girls ?!
Score
December 13, 2013 11:08:22 AM

Most commented article for being the least looked at article of the year.

We need ladies back. The price is not wrong. The price is right. They have ladies.
Score
December 13, 2013 5:57:57 PM

Utterly pointless. How many readers do you think will buy any of these items? How many could even afford to buy something, or know someone who would and could buy it for them, supposing they actually wanted it?

SteamOS is the only thing on this list worth even considering - and it's free!

As for the models... I have no problem with looking at beautiful people, but seeing them doesn't make me (or most people) more likely buy stuff, it just makes me (and most other people) more likely to look at that stuff. But face it, without attractive bodies posing with this stuff there's no reason for anyone to look at this list.

I say either make a list worth reading, populated with items most people reading it might want and could possibly afford, or make another waste of space like this and have the junk showcased by some sexiness so we get something out of reading it, instead of just boredom and disgust. Or, even better, do both!

If you do bring back the models, why not mix it up and have guys and girls? Your readership isn't exclusively straight males and lesbians!
Score
December 15, 2013 1:24:26 AM

Please...bring...them...back
Score
!