First-time build advice, < $750

McStiggles

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
When your current computer sounds like it's going to achieve lift-off while watching videos on YouTube, it's probably time for an upgrade...

Budget: < $750
Usage: Mostly web browsing and YouTube. I would also like to be able to play the games currently in my Steam library...

• Portal and Portal 2
    The Walking Dead
    The Wolf Among Us
    Deadlight
OS: I'm assuming I'll need a new copy, Windows 7 is my preference.
Peripherals: I already have everything. Although I would like to upgrade, it is far from a priority.

Here is the work-in-progress:
--------------------------------------------------------
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.13 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT NZXT H230 Black ATX Mid Tower ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $745.02
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-06 01:07 EST-0500)
--------------------------------------------------------
Forgive my noobishness, but I'm assuming a sound card and network adapter are not included with anything above. Obviously I've got plenty of room in the budget to add those...

Thanks in advance for any help!

TheRealShoe

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Both of those are included in the motherboard, you could upgrade the sound car if you want, but it is unnecessary. Another thing is, do you already have a graphics card, is that why you did not include one?

TheRealShoe

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
One of the only things I would change would be getting Windows 8.1 instead, I was skeptical at first, but I am running it now and I really like it. It took me a day to get fully familiar with it. It looks much nicer, and when you know how to use it, it is very easy to use.

---
It comes with a CPU cooler, but is only good for running at stock clocks. If you plan on overclocking then yes you would "need" a aftermarket CPU cooler. It is not necessary, but I would recommend it.

A good cheap CPU cooler is the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

McStiggles

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
I have yet to mess with Windows 8.1, but I'll look into it. I've come across some Windows 8 PCs with my work and found it very user-UNfriendly, but I heard they made some changes with the second version.

What sort of settings could this build handle graphically? I was hoping to run things like The Walking Dead at 1920x1080 on maximum settings.

Thank you very much for the help, TheRealShoe!

TheRealShoe

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
I see no reason why it shouldn't run it on maximum settings, if I remember correctly it is not a very hard game to run. I would let someone else second me on this as I am not 100% certain.

Recommended:
Graphics: ATI or NVidia card w/ 1024 MB RAM

760 has 2Gb and pretty good speeds.

McStiggles

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Awesome, thanks again.

I guess the only other thing to ask for is if anyone has any changes they would make to maintain relative capabilities while saving some coin. I'm also open to case suggestions if anyone cares to offer!

TheRealShoe

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Depends on what you want in a case, like do you want a flashy case, or one that does a good job keeping the dust out? If you work at a big company, you could ask your IT guy if he can give you a copy of Windows, $90 savings.

McStiggles

Honorable
Dec 5, 2013
Unfortunately the company I work for has a grand total of 8 employees, but maybe I can swing something with one of the companies we do work for.

As far as cases... minimalist design > sound dampening > air flow > cable management. These are my priorities in order. I don't think I need a ton of drive bays as I will only ever need 1 HDD, and one optical drive. I can't really think of anything else I could need. I don't really need a ton of I/O options either, other than a couple USB3.0s.