FX-6350 Real Temps to Monitor

v4l33

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
So basically been stress testing my CPU with Prime95 after I got a new Noctua NH-U14S cooler and I'm a bit confused about which temperatures should I monitor.
Attached is an image with the temperatures from HWinfo that I got, the column in the red frame are the max values.
I checked the temps with CoreTemp also and they match the CPU 0 temps from HWinfo, so basically core temps don't get past 38 degrees. Also CoreTemp reports a TjMax of 70 degrees.
What I'm confused about is that HWInfo has another CPU reading under the Nuvoton sensor that peaked at 53 degrees. And that worries me a little since now is winter here, so I expect during the summer, when it gets too hot, that value will go over 60-70 degrees.
So which temps should I be monitoring, the core temps (CPU 0 & CoreTemp) or the higher value that HWinfo reports under the Nuvoton sensor?

Capture.png

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ever since AMD went to their Bulldozer lineup and dropped the K10s, their temp readings have been difficult to determine, to say the least. But the CPU temp at 53C is the case temp or the temp from the sensor embedded in the socket to measure that. 53C is quite good. I wouldn't trust CPU 0, though. Some folks say it is to be believed, but I doubt them. The idle temps are way below room temp. How can one be sure the core temp reading is accurate?

TjMax is the point that the processor is sent a signal to begin throttling down to save itself.

I have had the same issue with every FX and APU I've built with. Undependable temps.

v4l33

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
I'm not saying CPU 0 is the right temp to look at, just that it matches the temps from CoreTemp, so that must be the average core temp. And 53 degrees might be good now, but like I said it's winter here, in the summer I expect that temp to be up to 15-20 degrees higher, which worries me since AMD listed max safe temp to be 70 degrees. But I don't know which temps they are reffering too, the core one (which is 10-15 degrees lower, and would be safe) or the socket one, in which case the CPU might start to throttle down in the hot days.
I read some reviews on the FX-6350 and their temps were the same as mine, but they also OCed the CPU and got the temps in the 70-80 degrees w.o any throttling down, tho I don't know if they were core or socket temps, so this is all confusing.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
That's my point. It didn't used to be this way with AMD processors. As long as you are using Core Temp and you feel it is working OK, just stay below TjMax. It won't throttle as long as it is below that. And if you found an AMD site the shows the max 'temp' is 70C, please pass that on. I'd like to take a look at that.

v4l33

Honorable
Dec 6, 2013
That's the problem, there's no official AMD information regarding the temps for the FX series from what I've seen, tho seems it's a general consensus on alot of tech forums that the CPU will start throttling at 70 degrees. I was hoping someone more experienced with the FX processors can shed a light about this matter.
Guess I'll have to wait for the summer and see for myself how it's gonna behave.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
There's probably no consensus on the correct max temp, because AMD's core temp sensors don't work; at least not correctly. I have had a long discussion about this on the AMD forum. I get plenty of excuses and goofy work arounds, but no answers. Until AMD fixes this problem I will not be buying another one of their enthusiast's processors.