Honda's Smartphone Airbag Video is Awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
just... don't let the airbag go off when the phone is inside user's pocket. front pocket worse than the back pocket. especially for males. >_>
edit: or in a bag/case full of less-than-legal substances (i.e. drop the bag with the phone in it)... or full of samples for medical testing... >_>_>

shinkueagle

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
It's just a prototype and I bet the production model/version with be a much more compact solution to make a very viable option for the end-user. Couple that with a price tag of about $50-80 and I will be waiting in line to get my own case-N just N-case I drop my phone from the 6th story of a building, I will not have to worry too much...

lp231

Splendid

By logic, how can one drop their smartphone from 6 story building?
Unless it's done on purpose or that person is drunk, has butter fingers, and is waving hands around like manic, where the phone looses from his grasp and in thrown off the 6 story balcony.

LOL, great video Honda! It is strange but nice to see Japanese companies starting to sprout a sense of humor. I guess it is because the Anime generation is finally getting into the mainstream workforce.

Quarkzquarkz

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2013
You guys are idiots, if you took even the most basic science class in High school, you would realize that in free fall, it would take at least greater than 2 seconds of complete freefall for the airbags to deploy, Not to mention the amount of time it takes from the end of 2 seconds, then to trigger the code to deploy, then the actual deploy, ON top of that the probability it will actually fall from a height high enough to cause the freefall for anything greater than 2 seconds which is nearly impossible in everyday situations.

In other words, you're wasting your TIME, jeezus christ, I just wanna punch a hole in the wall from all this ignorancy.. =(

qlum

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I think the biggest problem with adding an airbag into a phone is that you need to inflate really fast and to do that regular airbags use small explosives, now to blow up a bag big enough to protect your phone you may need more explosive then you'd want in a phone besides that it does add to the mass of the phone and because of the low speed and acceleration that a normal shake would also trigger the airbag.

Not to mention with the extra space needed for the airbag to properly work you'd be better off with other protection on the phone.

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009

That would be awesome! You wouldn't need a chick to get blown...

On a lighter note, I love how nimble and pocket-sized this fabulous case is!

Ning3n

Honorable
May 12, 2013
Imagine this.... Some folks drive with their cell phone resting between their legs (i do on occasion, as I usually leave my phone on vibrate). Hit a nasty bump.... what a kick in the junk that would be....

Ning3n

Honorable
May 12, 2013
After a little search, and using google's nifty translate feature, its not fake. Honda is actually offering this on their "N Store" http://www.honda.co.jp/N/

Status
Not open for further replies.