R9 280X Price Fluctuations

DLarge

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
When the R9 280X first came out I decided that it had the right parameters for me. It came out in the $300-$320 price range. I decided I would wait for it to hit $250 either by specials or rebates. It's been over six weeks now and the price hasn't dropped a cent, and then tonight I looked and all the cards have jumped $60 and are now $360-$380.
Anyone know what is going on? How long will I have to wait before I can get one for $250? Should I just get a different card?
Thanks.

DLarge

Honorable
Dec 7, 2013
I guess I should be more specific. $250 is the limit on how much I am willing to pay for a graphics card.
Also, I just noticed that all the R9 280xs at a popular online store are now sold out...There were several brands available yesterday.
Thanks.

The 280x got pretty much wiped out by Black Friday and Cyber Monday, made worse by the run up to Christmas. So sellers took the opportunity to raise prices. The 280x was released not long ago just this year so there's pretty much no way the average price could drop to $250.

You'll have to wait for a once-in-a-blue-moon super/flash sale to see it for $250 anytime soon. I wouldn't do that.

For $250 you ca safely get a GTX 760.
https://pcpartpicker.com/search/?q=gtx+760

the 280x was the best graphics card as far as performance for money for bitcoin mining so through the holidays they all were bought up by them. the 280x is an high performing card and is fairly new, it will be a very long time before you see it drop to $250. I think you're going to have to jump down a tier in graphic performance for the 250 mark, like a 270x or 760.