My PC Monitor is constantly turning on-off by itself.

konspiracy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Hi there!
My monitor is an LG Flatron L1900J-BF connected via DVI to an asus radeon hd 7850 dcuII gpu. The rest of my specs are:

PSU: corsair CMPSU-650TX-650W (6 years old)
MB: Asus P5E3 (6 years old)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Core Q9300 2.6GHz (6 years old)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (4x2GB sticks) @ 1333 MHz CL9 (new)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB (6 years old)
Case: Thermaltake Soprano RS 100 (Full tower) (6 years old)
My monitor which has the problem is also 6 years old and the gpu is new.

So this is the problem: when I was using my LG monitor it started flickering by turning on and off by itself. While this was happening I noticed that the power adapter of the monitor (the little black box) is making a buzzing sound (like some insect) and that if I hold the cable that goes from the plug to the adapter the flickering stops. What I also noticed was that the adapter was really hot. I know these things should be hot but this was extreme. Never in 6 years did this black box feel so hot. So I disconnected the screen because I didn't want it to get fried. Now I'm using my TV via HDMI and there is no flickering, no buzzing, no problems.

My conclusion: Does this mean that the problem is limited to the LG Monitor? and more specifically to the power connection of the monitor (adapter + cable)?? or is there a possibility that some other hardware piece of my old system is failing??

Question: Should I try using the adapter of my TV on the LG monitor to see if that fixes the problem?

the LG adapter has
input: 100V-240V, 50-60Hz, 1.0A Max
output: 12V-3A

while the adapter of my TV has
output: 100-240V, 50-60Hz, 1,2A Max
input: 12V-5A

So the difference is only in the ampere's not in the volt's. Will it be ok if I try this?

konspiracy

Honorable
Feb 26, 2013
Thanks for the fast reply!
So the best thing to do is to order some adapter with the same specs?? I really have no clue what to look for.. other than input/output are there any other specs I should pay attention to?