Sign in with
Your question

Battlefield 4, recommend a GPU?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 7, 2013 2:24:52 PM

Hey guys, I recently finished my computer build and the specs can be found below. However I am yet to buy my graphics card and I'm not certain what to go for as I would like to play Battlefield 4. I have a few cards I might get but have no real experience. The cards I have found that may be alright are:
GTX 770 SLI.
HD7870 CrossFire
EVGA GTX 680
GTX 780
HD 7970
R9 280X
(Sorry if names are stupid)

So if anyone has any suggestions on GPU as well as my current build it would be greatly appreciated. find below the current spec of my new build

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU: Intel i5-4670K @ 3.40
Memory: 8GB Corsair 1600GHz
Storage: 128GB Sandisk SSD & 1TB HDD.

Thanks in advance.
December 7, 2013 2:30:26 PM

I would do R9 280x because BF4 supports mantle. And the 280x is very good card.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 7, 2013 2:31:00 PM

IRJesoos said:
Hey guys, I recently finished my computer build and the specs can be found below. However I am yet to buy my graphics card and I'm not certain what to go for as I would like to play Battlefield 4. I have a few cards I might get but have no real experience. The cards I have found that may be alright are:
GTX 770 SLI.
HD7870 CrossFire
EVGA GTX 680
GTX 780
HD 7970
R9 280X

So if anyone has any suggestions on GPU as well as my current build it would be greatly appreciated. find below the current spec of my new build

Thanks in advance.

Nice build as is. What resolution will you be gaming at? That does play a part in how much GPU
power you need.
Related resources
December 7, 2013 2:34:53 PM

BF4 should work better on ATI cards because of mantle, i personally would go for 7870CF, but u need a strong enough PSU for that...what's yours power ?
December 7, 2013 2:44:34 PM

toyftw said:
IRJesoos said:
GTX 770 SLI.
HD7870 CrossFire
EVGA GTX 680
GTX 780
HD 7970
R9 280X

Thanks in advance.

Nice build as is. What resolution will you be gaming at? That does play a part in how much GPU
power you need.

Thanks man, good to know as I've been worrying I made bad choices, I paid £550 for it all. In answer to your question I have a Corsair 750W PSU which I should've mentioned.

EDIT: I'll be playing at 1920 x 1080
a b U Graphics card
December 7, 2013 2:46:37 PM

780 ti
December 7, 2013 2:49:18 PM

If you have a Psu that can cope (quality 650w+), then playing at 1080p, a 770 or r9 280x would be fine. Any higher, then I'd go for a r9 290. As others have pointed out, Bf4 is optimised for AMD cards, so the 290 would be much better. If noise is a consideration, then you've got a few weeks to wait for a non-reference card with a cool/quiet h/s+fan. In which case, the 780 may come back into the picture. Some fast 280x's may be as quick as a stock 780 in Bf4, however, so it might be worth doing some research.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 7, 2013 2:59:25 PM

IRJesoos said:
toyftw said:
IRJesoos said:
GTX 770 SLI.
HD7870 CrossFire
EVGA GTX 680
GTX 780
HD 7970
R9 280X

Thanks in advance.

power you need.

Thanks man, good to know as I've been worrying I made bad choices, I paid £550 for it all. In answer to your question I have a Corsair 750W PSU which I should've mentioned.

EDIT: I'll be playing at 1920 x 1080

Hi again - at 1920x1080, the 280x is more than sufficient, no need to SLI/CF unless you go to 2560x1440 or 2560x1600, or multiple monitors.

December 7, 2013 3:04:28 PM

I just built a rig almost the same specs. I went with 1 GTX 770 with plan to SLI it in the future. I am running Ultra settings at about 65fps. Note this is the reference card (love the look) Now one note I am using about 1.8gb of ram on the card in MP maps so I will be returning it for a 4gb version then SLI it in the future. As far as your needs note the R9200 stock cooling solution sucks. The card runs hot and loud. Not saying thats a big deal for everyone but for me the cool and quiet or at least sorta cool and sorta quiet is important. Now I agree Mantle will no doubt give a boost to an already AMD optimized game like BF4 but for me Nvidia makes nice product and they just have a sweet lineup with the 770 and 780. You won't be able to beat the price point of the R9290 but two GTX 770 4gb in SLI would be bad ass. Just saying. you would be looking at 100fps on ultra. I love the R920 and R9290x but the stock colors are crappy no doubt about that. Oh ya and what PSU are you running if you plan to crossfire or SLI...
December 7, 2013 3:16:02 PM

fastestlouigie1 said:
If you have a Psu that can cope (quality 650w+), then playing at 1080p, a 770 or r9 280x would be fine. Any higher, then I'd go for a r9 290. As others have pointed out, Bf4 is optimised for AMD cards, so the 290 would be much better. If noise is a consideration, then you've got a few weeks to wait for a non-reference card with a cool/quiet h/s+fan. In which case, the 780 may come back into the picture. Some fast 280x's may be as quick as a stock 780 in Bf4, however, so it might be worth doing some research.

I didn't know that BF4 was optimised for AMD. that will help make this decision I believe, thank yeh, sir.
December 7, 2013 3:18:23 PM

LS_7 said:
I just built a rig almost the same specs. I went with 1 GTX 770 with plan to SLI it in the future. I am running Ultra settings at about 65fps. Note this is the reference card (love the look) Now one note I am using about 1.8gb of ram on the card in MP maps so I will be returning it for a 4gb version then SLI it in the future. As far as your needs note the R9200 stock cooling solution sucks. The card runs hot and loud. Not saying thats a big deal for everyone but for me the cool and quiet or at least sorta cool and sorta quiet is important. Now I agree Mantle will no doubt give a boost to an already AMD optimized game like BF4 but for me Nvidia makes nice product and they just have a sweet lineup with the 770 and 780. You won't be able to beat the price point of the R9290 but two GTX 770 4gb in SLI would be bad ass. Just saying. you would be looking at 100fps on ultra. I love the R920 and R9290x but the stock colors are crappy no doubt about that. Oh ya and what PSU are you running if you plan to crossfire or SLI...

I have been fond of Nvidia also but stock colours don't bother me as I have a Corsaire 300R case without a window. :p  I think it sounds like a good idea for a 770 with prospect of SLI later on though.
December 7, 2013 3:21:19 PM

IRJesoos said:
fastestlouigie1 said:

I didn't know that BF4 was optimised for AMD. that will help make this decision I believe, thank yeh, sir.

The R9280x is probably the best value but Newegg has a GTX 770 4gb for $349 now thats sweet. Buy yah AMD paid for BF4 optimization and they got it. That game runs all 8 cores on FX 8350 and likes AMD cards. check google benchmarks you will see in BF4 the R9280x performs a bit better than GTX 770. now in other games the Gtx 770 is just a bit the better card Plus its Nvidia quality but whatever its the Ford vs Chevy thing. Even though I would call it Ford vs Honda Im partial :-)
December 7, 2013 3:26:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm currently thinking that this card would be a good idea
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-R9280X-DC2T-3GD5-1070MHz-E...

Due to the Battlefield optimisation and the fact that I don't think I'd be playing much else! Does anyone knwo if the card is capable of Crossfire?
December 7, 2013 3:30:31 PM

IRJesoos said:
Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm currently thinking that this card would be a good idea

Due to the Battlefield optimisation and the fact that I don't think I'd be playing much else! Does anyone knwo if the card is capable of Crossfire?

Oh ya it can. what PSU did you say you have again? That will matter as tar as can you crossfire it
December 7, 2013 3:44:20 PM

fastestlouigie1 said:
I've just bought the Asus R9 280X DirectCU II TOP OC 3GB GDDR5 card and it's great! However, please don't get it from a company that avoids paying it's due taxes like A****n. Try Novatech
http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/amdradeon...
or Overclockers,
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX...
These are both good Uk companies with great support/aftersales.

You made a good choice. Q1 next year when Mantle is out its only going to get better.
December 7, 2013 3:47:01 PM

LS_7 said:
IRJesoos said:

Oh ya it can. what PSU did you say you have again? That will matter as tar as can you crossfire it

I have a Corsair 750W supply currently, so I think I can Crossfire if the card is capable. :3
a b Î Nvidia
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 7, 2013 4:11:12 PM

IRJesoos said:
LS_7 said:
IRJesoos said:

I have a Corsair 750W supply currently, so I think I can Crossfire if the card is capable. :3

Yes, the card can be CF, but the 750 might not cut it w/2 280x's.

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

Here again: start with 1 R9 280x, it shud be more than enough for your res. If not then add another.
Or wait a few weeks for the non ref 290's & 290x's & then go with one of those as opposed
to CF.
December 10, 2013 8:14:07 PM

toyftw said:
IRJesoos said:
LS_7 said:
IRJesoos said:

Here again: start with 1 R9 280x, it shud be more than enough for your res. If not then add another.
Or wait a few weeks for the non ref 290's & 290x's & then go with one of those as opposed
to CF.

Ya I don't think 750 will do it. You have to figure each card could pull about 320w so your at 640 now what about your CPU will you oc it? you could pull up to say 130w oc plus any other system stuff running like RAM, HD, Case fans and such. cutting it close with those cards. Really need 850 even then only a good 850 like seasonic or xfx. unfortunately Corsair isn't the absolute best psu. depends on the model.
a b Î Nvidia
a c 113 U Graphics card
December 11, 2013 6:45:41 AM

LS_7 said:
toyftw said:
IRJesoos said:
LS_7 said:
IRJesoos said:

to CF.

Ya I don't think 750 will do it. You have to figure each card could pull about 320w so your at 640 now what about your CPU will you oc it? you could pull up to say 130w oc plus any other system stuff running like RAM, HD, Case fans and such. cutting it close with those cards. Really need 850 even then only a good 850 like seasonic or xfx. unfortunately Corsair isn't the absolute best psu. depends on the model.

Hi - each card will pull up to 300w,(but prob somewhat less), Case fans use very little power (less than 5w).
so a good 750 would prob cut it, but I personally would go with an 850 and not risk it. Besides some xtra power will allow the PSU to 'not work as hard', and thus a little less heat, and a little quieter, as the fan won't run as much, etc.

But, the Corsair has internal protections. You could try it, if it is insufficient it will shut down without damaging your
system.
!