Casual Gaming Build

Fotonix

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013
Hey Guys,

Finally made an account instead of lurking because I wanted to submit my build. Upgraded from a 1st gen. AMD phenom with a 4830. I never really play anything more demanding than CS:GO or DotA 2 so I didn't need it to be very powerful. However, I like playing those games on max settings (1680x1050 monitor).

Anyway, the parts are linked here. Came to only $360 after discounts and rebates, I'm gutting the CD drive from my old computer and get windows for free from MSDN-AA. Any input?

Fotonix

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

I saw the build you linked, but am not sure which part you're referencing with "The extra $18." Could you clarify?

Fotonix

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

What makes them trash out of curiosity? I know Rosewill is Newegg's house brand but it had solid reviews and I've had rosewill PSU's in the past that have never died on me. Plus for the cost ($24.99) I'm not expecting anything exceptional.

My overall budget would be <$400. The only reason I built it is because I could knock the price down so low after rebates.

RazerZ

Judicious
Ambassador
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 500W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $452.92
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-12-08 16:55 EST-0500)

Pretty good build for the price. Also your build was really cheap, but might not be possible because a lot of parts are sold out at the discount price.

Fotonix

Honorable
Dec 8, 2013

Yea, I already put the order in a few days ago because Newegg kept spamming me the "5% discount if you order wth the mobile app" coupon. My thoughts are that, for just over $350, I doubt I could find another system that would come even close to the same performance for the cost.

g-unit1111

Titan

Xion is a brand that overall is not known for quality, and the junk cases like that are often several years out of date in terms of the hardware, and generally have extremely poor build quality, lack room for higher end coolers (should you choose to overclock) and also do not have room for extra fans if you need them.

Rosewill make some quality power supplies but the green series aren't one of them. Check out this list of brands vs. the actual manufacturers - even higher end names like Corsair use sub par OEMs on some of their PSU lines: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/power-supply-oem-manufacturer,2913.html

My rule on PSUs is pay more for a quality one now, or get a sub quality one and risk your system going with it.