Gaming/Audio Workstation Build Advice

a4sayknrthm

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Hey everybody, my name's Alex. Thank you for any time and effort spent helping me perfect my Birthday/Christmas present: A gaming AND multi-track recording compatible computer!

Approximate Purchase Date: By end of month.

Budget Range: $1500-$2000. Budget includes the monitor, OS, and accessories.

System Usage:

For gaming, I'm looking for high-end graphics that don't need to be 100% top of the line. I enjoy MMO's, RPG's, and retro gaming mostly. Honestly, in several years I'll probably have stopped keeping track of new games and switch fully over to a recording focus. So I wish for the gaming aspect of this PC to basically last me till the end of my interest, with little need to upgrade with the times.

As for my musical interests, I primarily wish to record all live instrumentation with very little sampling, synths, or electronic aspects except for post-editing with effects such as equalization, reverb, and compression. I'd like the potential to record 32 tracks simultaneously live. Mics and mixers will not be discussed here. This also seems to me to be something that I wouldn't need to upgrade in the future unless I wanted to. Once my computer is powerful enough to record 32 channels, it will be about finding the right mixer and then collecting nice microphones.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes.

Do you need to buy OS: Yes.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon in order to use an Amazon store card. But cheaper websites are interesting.

Location: City, State/Region, Country: Raleigh, North Carolina, USA.

Parts Preferences: None really.

Overclocking: Maybe.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080.

Without further ado, here is my starting build.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 8-core
Motherboard: MSI 970A-G4
Hard Drives: 120gb SSD (OS, audio recording software, main video game), 1TB SATAIII 64mb (For recording), a second 1TB SATAIII 64mb (music tracks, video games, misc.), 2TB External HDD (for back-ups).
GPU: GTX 760 OC 2GB GDDR5
RAM: 4x8gb 2133Mhz DDR3
Power: 600W Single +12V Rail ATX 12
Firewire Expansion Card: 4-Port PCI-Express FireWire 800/1394b
Windows 7 Pro 64bit
Case/Cooling: Rosewill Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case CHALLENGER-U3 Black
I'm also getting a simple gaming mouse, an ergonomic keyboard, a disc drive, a mic, a webcam, and a 27" HD monitor.

PCPartPicker Link

First off, tell me anything that jumps out as blatantly WRONG. This is my first ever computer build and I could simply have messed up somewhere. But to be more specific, here are some things I was wondering:

- Is 600W enough power?
- Is a 7200rpm HDD fast enough for 32 track recording?
- Will a 32 channel mixer with firewire capability actually work running through the firewire expansion card and into a recording program, giving me 32 individual tracks to edit?
- Does that case offer enough cooling for the entire system?
- Do I meet all the necessary speed specifications for smooth multi-track recording?
- Why are my CPU and Motherboard so cheap?

Lastly, I would love guidance on pricing and functionality options. Basically, is there anything I should upgrade, anything I should downgrade, anything that would be worth more for the money I already plan to spend (like a different GPU), or simply a cheaper seller. I have found ALL of these items on Amazon but if anyone could include links to suggested hardware that would be fantastic. Availability right now is not a very big issue because I'm patient.

Thank you so much again for helping me out. Building this computer will not only be attaining one of my lifelong goals, but also be an important step towards even longer-term goals of mine.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
I'm not an expert in audio workstation, but for gaming wise from what you describe a gtx 760 should keep you happy for a while for your casual breaks and joys.

I honestly would expect a stronger CPU for your audio work tho, but someone else can help you with that. You can help by supplying a max budget. But from what I can see you want to keep it around $1300 ish?

a4sayknrthm

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Preferably below $2000.

Thanks!

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2hvU0

I put this together quickly. Its alot more expensive then yours but it should do everything you want it too. Left some headroom from the $2000 mark for u to add in the mouse and monitor or other things u need.

I changed the SSD to a larger one as its a bit more bang for the buck. Better case and PSU, and cheaper ram.

I don't really know how CPU intensive your work could be so maybe someone else can work out a more suitable build from reading ur post.

a4sayknrthm

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Thanks for the quick responses!

Is there enough cooling for that build? Also pcpartpicker says there may be compatibility issues with that motherboard and cpu.

a4sayknrthm

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I also see that your CPU and Motherboard are MUCH more expensive than the ones I was looking at that. Could you explain the reason behind that?

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Well if you intend to overclock the processor then you can add CPU cooler into the build if you want. Otherwise the stock cooler is good enough.

There was some compartibility issues early on, but I think they should all be fixed now. I didn't have trouble with my 4930k and motherboard when I bought them. (same socket set)

Well I picked this processor because its much more powerful then the one you had so it may be better with your audio work as well. But I'm not quite sure of the 40 PCI Express Lanes vs 16 from the other processor will benefit you. As I'm not quite sure how to judge what you need. And usually for motherboards the higher the grade the better you can get the processor to Overclock and more features in the board.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2hwy3

^ we can go with this build, as it saves you money on the motherboard. The processor is still just as powerful just that you go to 16 PCI express lanes.

I'm just not quite sure if i'm over estimating how much power you need in your CPU for your tasks. For gaming its more then enough.

a4sayknrthm

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
I asked around on Gearslutz and the type of recording I wish to do will not be CPU heavy. So I have a new build based on one day adding another GTX 760 in SLI and potentially over-clocking. Does everything look good here for high-end graphics and smooth gameplay?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2ifHN

Also, what's the best ram config? I doubt I need 16gb so would 2x4gb work? Or would 4x2gb be better?

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2iL8x

Modified your build a bit.

I think a 8320 will be more futureproof then a 6300. AMD cores are weaker then intels atm and the price difference between the 6300 and 8320 isn't much for 2 more cores.

For RAM, the FX supports dual channel. so a 2x4 gb set would be best for 8gigs. Changed that in the build as well for you.

For the video card, a gtx 760 is very good, I changed the brand tho because words been going around about MSI quality control problems so I switched to asus. If you want something more future proof I suggest a gtx 770 as there's no R9 280x's in stock that I could find for the last week.

Also when are you planning on SLI? if its a couple months after your build we should invest in a larger PSU so you don't have to buy another. 620W is good for all single gpu cards but if you want to SLI we may need to step up.

O and you can add a CPU cooler into the build unless you don't plan on overclocking just yet.

a4sayknrthm

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
Thanks for all the info! How many watts do I need for SLI then? And yeah, I'll wait on a cooler until I feel the need to try overclocking. So I was wondering if the 8350 is worth the extra $50? Then again, if you really think Intel is better, is there anything around the same price range? Gonna check out the gtx 770 now.

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
For SLI, if your going gtx 770 sli if your not overclocking ur cpu or cards that much I think you could get away with a 750w PSU. but just to be safe a 860W would give you enough head room. I use 2 gtx 780's on 860W and just fine for me. If your not planning on SLI for more then a year then don't bother. But if you may upgrade in a few months save the $70 and just get the more powerful PSU imo.

E.g PSU thats good: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-p1850bbefx

In my opinion, a 8350 is just an overclocked 8320 so I would stick with the 8320 and save the $50 or a better mobo to get the most out of your overclock. But if your aiming for high overclocking a 8350 may give you a better chance to get say 4.8ghz then a 8320 which may give you the most 4.6ghz. It really all depends on luck as well, sometimes you may get a better overclocker in a 8320 and a worst overclocker in a 8350. I would just wait for a sale to get them both closer to price and see wat you want.

Well I don't think Intel is better or AMD. I'm not biased, just trying to give some insight for someone. AMD is budget friendly and a 8core 8320 is priced around an Intel I3. But if you were to compare core to core performance a intel would be faster. But say if you multitask alot an 8core would be better then a 2 core I3 with hyperthreading imo. Up to you to be honest, I wouldn't look at the 9370 or 9590 as they use too much power and kinda expensive imo

sportfreak23

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr2

^ you can add that in now, incase you don't want to use the stock cooler. Its one of the best budget ones for the price.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/phanteks-cpu-cooler-phtc12dxrd
^
I actually use the much larger more powerful version of this brand. They make really nice quality stuff, and this one will fit in your case. They have another model which puts the dimisions towards the LxW instead of height which may not with with the RAM so I rather go with this one.