Asus Rampage IV Gene with i7 4930K

nonolv

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Hi all,

I received my Asus Rampage IV Gene plugged correctly MoBo power and CPU power cables from 750 PSU. Did not plug any other components as I know I need to flash BIOS before installing i7 4930K.

Current BIOS version 1006, MoBo revision 1.00

I am installing ROM converter to the BIOS with ROG functionality (Flashback as described in Asus website). Tried flash drives from 16GB to 128MB FAT and FAT32. It does show progress when installing ROM file - continues blinking for about 3 minutes. When moving CAP files to flash drive and running flashback, the ROG light just blinks 3/4 times and it stops. - I assume I can not move to CAP structure properly.

Also installing processor, RAM and etc (other parts tested and working). and motherboard just does not post. Debug LED's shows 00. The processor LED next to MoBo power is on. No other LED's.

The situation looks just hopeless. - How can I update BIOS to support 4930K?

I have tried all ways updating BIOS. as described on Asus web. Incremental. Nothing working. with ROM it updates; with CAP it's just does not. Please help.

nonolv

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
How do you update it if processor is not supported. Flashback supposed to be tool to update without nay components installed (incl. processor not presenting)

ihog

Distinguished
Usually it is recommended to have a supported processor installed and then update the bios to support the new CPU. But if it's supposed to be able to update without a CPU installed, then I don't know why it isn't working.

Then yes, you have to use the CAP converter. Rename the unzipped CAP converter to R4G.ROM and save it on a FAT formatted USB drive,
Download the latest BIOS file, unzip and rename it to R4G.CAP. Save it on the same USB drive.
Connect the drive to the USB Flashback port.
Press the button for 3 seconds.
If still not working, then I suggest buying a BIOS chip flashed with the latest version from ebay (or ASUS eStore if in US) and replacing the board's BIOS chip.

nonolv

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
True, now one thing tho. Will it be the same as the original one? - Will it support future flashbacks?

Sam66er

Honorable
Dec 15, 2013
1) download the lastest bio from Asus web to your harddisk
2) download Brenamer from Asus web also
3) Copy your Brenamer file to the same folder with bio cap file. Run the Brenamer
4) You will see the bio cap file change the file name (pls use the converter to convert rom to cap if bio file is a rom file before you rename it)
5) format the thumb drive to fat 32
6) Copy the renamed bio cap file to the thumb drive and follow the step of asus thumb flashing. you are done.

aguthridge

Reputable
May 14, 2014
I had the exact same issue. After talking with ASUS support (total shit by the way), they recommend i RMA the mobo and have them replace the BIOS chip as it may have been corrupted during my attempts to flash. I didn't realize when i first tried to flash, the mobo literature said to rename the file as a .ROM. So i did this with the newest BIOS Provided. When that failed to work, i consulted Forums like this and found out that the change to the .CAP files was required. ASUS thought that i may have corrupted the BIOS chip by trying to use the ROM type for a .cap file. I RMA the part and they sent it back and it did work. Now my problem is that one of the RAM slots will not allow the MOBO to post. Tried two other Ram slots and it decided to Post. Then i plugged in my HDD and it now will not post again. None of my sata plugs will allow the MOBO to post.

I have the same CPU do. So you might need to RMA the mobo. But id highly suggest just selling the mobo and making it someone else's problem and getting yourself something without the Brand ASUS. I have had nothing but problems with them lately, their RMA department sucks and my builds take progressively longer. I used to use Intel boards only and they never had problems. Might try that.

If anyone has any insight as to why this MOBO doesn't post with any SATA connections let me know.