Haswell i5 vs NON Haswell i7

brat42

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Would a Haswell i5 or non Haswell but i7 have the best results performance wise? I've seen the specs but just wondering what performance differences I would get from changing to an i5 processor but featuring Haswell.

Thank you.

CTurbo

Pizza Monster
It depends on what you're doing. The Haswell i5 would be superior in gaming, but the Ivy Bridge i7 would still beat it out in heavy rendering, video editing, 3D design, and any other serious multitasking.

brat42

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
Excuse my ignorance but I presume Ivy Bridge is the third generation one (4th gen being Haswell). These are two I am comparing; 3rd gen i7 with 4th gen i5. It would be everything but gaming essentially that I would be doing, so I am thinking i7 3rd gen OR wait for this particular device to have 4th gen i7.

LookItsRain

Distinguished
In general haswell has a 5-15% performance increase over its ivy bridge equivalent. Also keep in mind that haswell also introduced a new socket. If your solely gaming the i5 is perfect, but if you plan on heavy editing etc. get the ivy i7.

Alpha3031

Honorable

Do you have the processor numbers? There are 15 Haswell i5s and 19 IB i7s for all I know you could be comparing the i7-3689Y with the i5-4330M in which case the i5 will come out on top (unless you're hoping for better life in which case an atom seems more apt). The 4th gen i7 would probably be better, but again it depends on which one it is.

brat42

Honorable
Feb 17, 2013
While I'm on the forum and for anyone reading the thread from a search engine, I ended up upgrading my non Haswell i7 to a Haswell i7. I noticed a touch extra of performance but the largest improvement was the battery life which was significantly improved.