HDMI Splitter not waking up PC monitor

Guinea

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I have a passive HDMI splitter from Monoprice. Right now my setup with this splitter is as follows:

I have a triple monitor PC using a Sapphire Toxic R9 280x GPU. It outputs to the 3 displays perfectly. I have a splitter between the center monitor and the GPU, which also outputs the display and sound to my AV Receiver/TV in the living room. This is a 60' RedMere HDMI run.

So this setup works perfectly so far. The TV receives the display and audio (it does take a few seconds to get there when I switch to that input on the AV) and the computer is using an extended display mode (not surround unless I am gaming) and works fine. My issue is this: When the monitors go into power save mode...if I move the mouse, the 2 outside monitors awake quickly, but there is no response from the central monitor (which is coming from the splitter). I have to turn off and on the monitor a few times to get it to come up.

What I think I read before was that the splitter wouldn't pass a specific signal that is used by the computer and monitors to wake them from the power save mode. Is there a way to solve this?

I see there are better splitters out there...specifically powered splitters. What benefits do these have over what I have? Are there better models out there than the monoprice ones? I don't want to spend a ton of money....but improving my setup and being able to wake my monitor from power save mode would be a huge help. Plus if the powered splitter pushes the signal harder to the outputs...it would probably help the TV/AV part of the system.

Thanks in advance.

Guinea

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
Or at least a start would be if someone knows what the signal is that actually wakes the monitor up so I could start my research on what component(s) would do that...