Sign in with
Your question

Fake Backwards Compatibility Instructions Brick Xbox One

Last response: in News comments
December 9, 2013 5:07:47 PM

Idiots!!! If the system had the ability to have backwards compatibility simply "unlocked" they would have done it! It would be a HUGE selling feature. Top that off with the fact that the last step of this how to was to check (or type... I can't recall...) "freezone", which I gather means freeze One. I wonder what Microsoft labels cases like this...

M$ Rep: "We have case# ID10t:5125 here. Please send this schmuck a new system."
m
l
December 9, 2013 5:16:42 PM

The prank is cruel and brilliant at the same time. People should know better than trusting something that originated from 4chan.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2013 5:30:54 PM

Remember ios7 waterproofing? Idiots.
m
l
December 9, 2013 5:42:17 PM

These people get what they deserve.... as if there's some hack a dip on the internet could think up to play 360 games that Microsoft couldn't figure out themselves. hhahahaha, man people are easy to fool.
m
l
December 9, 2013 6:03:28 PM

4chan is the source of all awesome. Never fails to amaze me :) 
m
l
December 9, 2013 6:44:36 PM

PowerPC != X86.. Knowledge is power.
m
l
December 9, 2013 7:25:49 PM

yup i cant run the xbox 360 on xbox one... but, maybe in days for now we can emulate all games from xbox one and ps4...
m
l
December 9, 2013 7:38:23 PM

stupid peasants lol
m
l
December 9, 2013 7:53:45 PM

I feel sorry for all the young kids that fell for this though.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2013 8:02:57 PM

Hmm...an X86 instruction set...and a CPU and GPU that are more powerful than the PC's that first ran Xbox 360 emulators....

I call bullshit, micro$oft.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2013 8:08:40 PM

and those emulators were running on top of windows a very un-optimized-for-gaming OS. If microsoft wanted to make the xbone backwards compatible, they could have done so.

The truth is, they realized they can sell you your 360 games all over again.
m
l
December 9, 2013 8:08:47 PM

You can play Xbox 360 games on the XBOX 1 by streaming? Is this like remote desktop? So the server is running the game? Sweet sweet technology man
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2013 9:02:12 PM

^ it is the same as what OnLive has been doing. The idea is neat but with streaming stable Internet and latency will always be the first problem
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2013 9:06:45 PM

shardey said:
PowerPC != X86.. Knowledge is power.

This.

Although I would say maybe in about 10 years we should be able to emulate the 360/PS3 just like we are now able to easily emulate Xbox and PS2 now.

But by them we will have photo realistic gaming .
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2013 9:18:27 PM

I love the way people have no empathy or sympathy for others these days, yet at the first sign of trouble would probably go running to mummy or daddy for help.

Sure it's a little naïve to believe and try something like this, but it's a bit sick to get pleasure from their misfortune.
m
l
December 9, 2013 10:12:29 PM

Games designed to run on a power pc system just won't work with an x86 system.
I feel bad for anyone who believed that crap.
m
l
December 9, 2013 10:17:13 PM

sixdegree said:
The prank is cruel and brilliant at the same time. People should know better than trusting something that originated from 4chan.

If they knew better, they would be gaming on PCs.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 9, 2013 11:52:33 PM

for those who fell for this most likely backward compatibility really matters to them. this is where sometimes pc have the advantage. for example the original starcraft still running just fine with my windows 7 pc.
m
l
December 9, 2013 11:54:41 PM

Still don't get why they didn't just do a software based Backwards Compatibility like the 360 had. Yes I know it cost a lot in development, but there is no reason why they can't do it in the form of an app and charge for it. Maybe even have little charges for each specific game.

m
l
December 10, 2013 1:21:41 AM

Thats how Xbox people are. Great prank though, to weed out the r-tards.
m
l
December 10, 2013 1:31:54 AM

Quote:
I love the way people have no empathy or sympathy for others these days, yet at the first sign of trouble would probably go running to mummy or daddy for help.

Sure it's a little naïve to believe and try something like this, but it's a bit sick to get pleasure from their misfortune.

Yeah, it is not a very nice thing. Likely the ones affected will get their console replaced though, while also learning something from this. In the end, I can't help but feel like they got what they deserved for not doing proper research before jumping in and doing things THEY KNEW THEY SHOULDN'T BE DOING.
m
l
December 10, 2013 2:13:41 AM

You deserve it if you fall for it lol
m
l
December 10, 2013 4:33:26 AM

Tommy Lee Jones said in Men In Black:-
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it"
This is a classic example of herd-mentality, you could do exactly the same with any list of instructions, if you were to post that you could get free Xbox One downloaded games if you typed in your username whilst sitting with your feet in a bowl of water, you can be damn sure that at least one dumbass will try it.
m
l
December 10, 2013 4:40:24 AM

To be fair, despite those idiots, I'm fairly surprised Microsoft left something so "dangerous" in a public firmware...
m
l
December 10, 2013 5:45:56 AM

leeb2013 said:

Come on it not like someone died or got injured. Yea its mean to laugh at the expense of other but some just made a really, really silly decision to believe a hack they found on the internet and broke their $500 toy.

That's all it is a toy, not like they broke their car and now can't go into work or something.
m
l
December 10, 2013 6:38:07 AM

back_by_demand said:
you could get free Xbox One downloaded games if you typed in your username whilst sitting with your feet in a bowl of water, you can be damn sure that at least one dumbass will try it.

Hot or cold, tap or distilled? Please respond quickly, I'm in a hurry! =)

m
l
December 10, 2013 7:38:10 AM

back_by_demand said:
This is a classic example of herd-mentality, you could do exactly the same with any list of instructions, if you were to post that you could get free Xbox One downloaded games if you typed in your username whilst sitting with your feet in a bowl of water, you can be damn sure that at least one dumbass will try it.

This has nothing to do with the herd mentality jabroni. People were doing this by themselves. This has to do with individuals being stupid and is the exact opposite of what you are trying to say. Spend more time thinking about what you are saying and less time trying to sound smart.
m
l
December 10, 2013 7:38:18 AM

I heard you could overlock your XBone by putting it in the oven for 5 hours at 425F!
And double the hard drive space by microwaving it for 20 minutes on HIGH
m
l
December 10, 2013 8:12:20 AM

Grandmastersexsay said:
back_by_demand said:

This has nothing to do with the herd mentality jabroni. People were doing this by themselves. This has to do with individuals being stupid and is the exact opposite of what you are trying to say. Spend more time thinking about what you are saying and less time trying to sound smart.

Herd mentality, or mob mentality, describes how people are influenced by their peers to adopt certain behaviors, follow trends, and/or purchase items.

It only takes one troll to comment that it worked. Have you ever read youtube comments? You don't need any sort of credentials or proof to convince people of anything, no matter how ridiculous. People were doing this by themselves, as opposed to what? In the digital age, the internet can substitute for the large area where people would gather and conduct herd mentality type behavior.
m
l
December 10, 2013 8:14:16 AM

Well said clonazepam
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
December 10, 2013 8:21:39 AM

That and ios 7 makes your phone waterproof!!! haha!!
m
l
!